p45 chipset temps

beatts

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
hi, i bough a Asus P5Q not too long ago and seem to be having problems with the temps.
http://scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=818511
I didnt buy the deluxe model with better northbridge cooling as i needed 3 pci slots and the others only have 2 pci ad 2 pci express.

im using the motherboard with a q6600 g0 oc'ed to 3.2 with a freezer pro 7, the temps are fine for this also 4gb of coirsair dominator 1066mhz. this is running at 1066mhz and also fsb is set to 1600. im using vista x64

When i touch the northbridge heat sink my fingers burn so can only touch it for a split second, i have no external heat moniotr so dont know the heatsink temp but my mobo sensor is reporting around 35C .
is this too hot?

the reason why this has come to light is because my pc just freezes when transfering files over network (ie my housemates pc) or from internet, the computer is fine with normal surfing or gaming ie crysis, coh etc. does moving files from the HD put more of a strain on the NB than gaming etc.

thanks

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Well most hard drive control is in the south bridge, so that may be having trouble.
35c is not bad.
If you are using windows and an error pops up with something like $MTF .......
you have a hard drive going bad.
Always keep things cool and run some hardware tests.
you can download Saundra for free.

The northbridge typically handles communications among the CPU, RAM, AGP or PCI Express
Southbridge extends to the south of the PCI bus backbone and bridged to less performance critical I/O capabilities such as the disk interface, audio, etc.

beatts

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
no the freeze has no blue screen with error codes. it just literally freezes, the mouse sticks, audio goes off etc i have to reset the pc manually. my pcie is set to auto so no overclock on it. on the NB temp though, should it be too hot to touch?