Blue screen on RAID

j13x

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
good day to all,

i've been messing around with my new sys for quite a few hours now trying to figure out what is wrong.

i'm currently running a MSI P55 CD53 with i5 750, im trying to setup RAID 1 (250gb x 2) for this system. seems that everytime i switch the controller of the bios to RAID i will get blue screen upon loading windows.
hope not its the mobo giving way so soon, its only 1 day old!

add: i trying moving ard the diff sata ports avail...still having same prblm thou

read also on 1 of the treads tat raid 1 is deem useless when it comes to delete, viruses and stuff.
if so...any other suggestions that i can still use the 2 HDD. BTW sys is for office use.

sub mesa

Distinguished
You can't just switch it to your convenience. The normal procedure is to switch from IDE/AHCI setting to RAID, create a RAID array and re-install the operating system; which kills all existing data on both drives.

RAID isnt something you can turn on or off at your convenience.

RAID1 is only really useful to servers; consumers should probably stick to backups instead. This costs the same disk space so a RAID1 is really a poor man's backup facility. Don't use it.

j13x

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
i on it when i'm doin a fresh install of OS. when loading the OS CD...it goes into blue screen b4 i could do anything.

i tried RAID setup for existing OS drives provided by MSI (intel matrix strorage manager and jmicron raid tools) even.

so any suggestion on what i can do to run backups? as the 1 using the sys would nt be me, but some1 who knows the basic of computers.

=)

sub mesa

Distinguished
Anyone not understanding the basics of RAID would do himself or herself a service of not using it. It can create more problems than it solves and lead to total data loss simply by lack of knowledge and proper maintenance.

Setup multiple disks/filesystems and synchronise them, without using RAID. That would be the safest choice. Online backups and backups to external drives might be best. Pick large disks so you don't need to use RAID to get a large volume.

sub mesa

Distinguished
I just want to prevent you having false hopes for RAID. Many people lose data without even a single disk failure; so RAID did more harm to them than good.

RAID is great and i use it alot, but its not for everyone and can never replace a backup. NEVER.

Net_Prophet3000

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Along these lines, only backwards, I bought a Dell desktop that came with a single SATA HD but it was also configured for RAID. As you said, I can't shut it off, but what I need to know is this:

If I pre-format a second HD, via external port, can I sneak it past the system's RAID when I install it internally? (make enough sense?)

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS