Which old socket 478 CPU for database work

for database work, which is better

• Celeron D 335 Prescott (2.8GHz - 533MHz FSB - 256KB L2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pentium 4 2.8 Northwood (2.8GHz - 800MHz FSB - 512KB L2)

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

oz-dingo

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
Hi all

I was wondering for an office environment where the main work will be database transactions on Windows XP, which processor would be better suited? Or would this task not matter much?

If there is no winner on performance, which would be better in terms of power efficiency or heat output? I've heard Prescotts with 1MB or 2MB cache are really bad, but Celerons are a different kettle of fish and apparently are OK in temperatures?

I see the Celeron D has more L1 cache, but less L2 cache and a lower FSB. However, it benefits from improved architectural design (http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2093). It also has SSE3 compared to none in the Pentium 4 and I've heard these are important considerations.

The cost is the same, so that's not an issue. I just don't know which to go for.. help me decide with this poll!

Thank you :pt1cable:

jaywalker256

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Id probably bet on the Northwood, but you probably arent going to notice a huge difference between the two. If you can, just run some tests on em both. Heat/Power will probably be similar. I dont think its going to make a terribly big difference since they both kinda suck anyway...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You are asking for a simple answer to a rather complex question.
1. What database?
2. How many transactions / sec. do you expect?
3. How many tables will the database use?
4. How many fields per table?

ke7diz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
go p4 unless you have the ability to test the platforms.
the sse3 could make a small dif but generally the celrons are a low end possessor.
also unless you have a connection fore used cpus or something the p4's and celron d's are more expensive than they are worth so if you can go cheap duel core

oz-dingo

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
Hi croc,

thanks for the reply. Not sure on those details unfortunately.

5 votes is enough for me, Northwood it is!