Sign in with
Your question

Cannot Overclock my i7 920

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2009 3:11:29 AM

i've recently brought an Acer M7720 from the source cc and i cannot O/C my intel i7 920. When i go into BIOS i get this "product info." instead of the O/C options. this is the PC http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=2511847&category=Desktops_English&catalog=Online&tab=2#more

What and how can i do to O/C my i7? i heard that the i7 can easily O/C over 3.2 ghz

More about : overclock 920

July 5, 2009 3:46:58 AM

You bought an OEM computer. Typically you cannot overclock them.
July 5, 2009 3:49:49 AM

i found a new BIOS update on the Acer support site it's a newer version but will the new update most likely enable O/C
Related resources
July 5, 2009 4:10:08 AM

aplinee said:
i found a new BIOS update on the Acer support site it's a newer version but will the new update most likely enable O/C

no
a c 155 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2009 4:32:09 AM

assuming it's for games, with a single HD4870 graphics card I doubt you'd see a benefit by overclocking the CPU.

Contact Acer anyway. Having said that, usually the ability to overclock is pretty obvious.

Is there any way to overclock from within Windows?
July 5, 2009 8:30:50 AM

Usually OEMs have locked BIOS's so overclocking cannot be accomplished. However you cuold try software overclocking, i.e ClockGen, SetFSB.
July 5, 2009 9:31:18 AM

Your only realistic option would be to sell the pc and build one properly. Just Kidding, depending on your chipset there are different programs that you can use to OC in windows but I can tell you that its always gonna be better to set it in the bios. I have my I7 920 running @4ghz w/HT on with safe voltages and temps and honestly I cant tell too much of a difference. My total CPU usage rarely goes past 50%
July 5, 2009 9:33:27 AM

DL cpuz here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php then run it and see what make and model the motherboard is ...asus, foxcon, ect... then go direct to whoever makes the board and see if the model you have has a bios update from them direct and that might possibly work if not the only other answer is software or replacement of the Mobo. and trust me overclocking the i7 does make night and day difference in gaming! want to see proof check this out.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=11380133

my score before overclocking was in the 17000 range I gained 10000+ points!
but dont forget there is a price to pay for overclocking! you will need extreme cooling and power consumption to overclock to where I am.

July 5, 2009 9:46:41 AM

Until hard drives come a long way with an I7 your gonna be bottlenecked by other components first. Also to dave 3dmark06 is a combo of your CPU score + graphics scores combined. try running a real world game with the I7 @2.66 and then @4.51 and see if there's really that much of a difference in fps. Also I noticed on your posted 3dmark06 link that it says your running 32bit XP with 6 gb's of ram. Is that for real?
July 5, 2009 10:38:48 AM

I agree and yes I was only benchmarking in xp for 3dmark06 because there are no approved drivers in windows 7 and I couldnt overclock my GPU's to get the best score. as you can see I do run in windows 7, just had to prove a point and beat my lower score in windows 7.

July 5, 2009 4:01:38 PM

chances are the stock fan will limit your OC severely, and Intel probably struck a deal with the OEM's to sell off the rest of the C0's for a ridiculously cheap price therefore the OEM i7 builds will be full of C0's for a bit, so maybe 300MHz overclock max?
July 5, 2009 6:29:15 PM

itzamedave said:
I agree and yes I was only benchmarking in xp for 3dmark06 because there are no approved drivers in windows 7 and I couldnt overclock my GPU's to get the best score. as you can see I do run in windows 7, just had to prove a point and beat my lower score in windows 7.

]http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/itzamedave/th_skeleton002.jpg
]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/598151.png

Ok, I've had issues with 06 on 64bit as well, vantage works but the scoring is different.
July 6, 2009 8:53:57 AM

I have no problems running 06 or vantage in windows 7 x64 but I cannot get approved drivers to work in windows 7 or use Rivatune to overclock GPU's like in XP thus the reason behind running XP for benchmarking in 06 as far as vantage my score was alright but no overclocking on graphics gives me a lower score.
July 6, 2009 1:32:40 PM

^^^ have u tried evga precision. I'm having to use it until rivatuner updates for the new 186 drivers. maybe it would work in 7?
July 9, 2009 7:22:47 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
chances are the stock fan will limit your OC severely, and Intel probably struck a deal with the OEM's to sell off the rest of the C0's for a ridiculously cheap price therefore the OEM i7 builds will be full of C0's for a bit, so maybe 300MHz overclock max?

On my CO stepping with stock cooling I got 3.4 ghz under 80 degrees. When I bought water cooling it went to 3.75 with same temps. You can still do good with stock, and I went from ~55 GFLOPS (stock) to ~70 GFLOPS with the 3.4, so there is a difference. CO stepping isn't that bad.
!