mobo (or other solution) for hdmi and spdif at the same time

johnie

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Hello everyone,
I am building a HTPC and although i was about to buy a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H I have second thoughts about the sound.
To be more specific, what I want to do with my HTPC:
1. Connect to my LCD (Samsung 37 A656) with an HDMI cable (both sound and video)
2. Connect to a mini Hi-Fi (with SPDIF input) that I have with the SPDIF (just sound)
3, I want them both to play sound at the same time, so I can choose whether i want to listen just from my LVD TV (when I want to watch TV), listen to my pc music from my mini Hi-Fi with the TV turned off, and watch movies with sound from both the TV and the mini Hi-Fi. I don't want to have to remove any cable in the process or have to go through control panel to activate or deactivate anything.
Is this possible with the GA-MA78GM-DS2H? Has anyone done it with such a motherboard or with some other solution (sound card for example)?

OS is gonna be Windows XP or Vista, both in Media Center Editions

Thank you in advance

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I dont think you will get an intergrated board to do this, as the HDMI audio pass through disables the S/PDIF (dont hold me to it though). In any case, why wouldnt you just use your mini Hi-Fi all the time, it no doubt would be better sound quality than your TV's speakers... and using them both at the same time for movies would sound dreadful.