How do i change the name of my computer?

jasonpf1123

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
hello there everyone i'm fairly good with computers but this one has me stumped. me and my better half bought a pc from a yardsale get this with xp pro 1gb ram radeon hd4300/4500 gpu and intel celeron 2.93 ghz processor for here it comes 1 dollar yes 1 dollar. my question is i guess this computer was a work computer for the gentlemen i bought it off of. what i'm trying to do is change the name so that when i say pull up task manager instead of saying jim it says family. or when i log in it says family and not jim. i wanna get jim's name out of my computer but am having no luck with it. i've already tried everything i can think.went to computer name in sytem properties, went to administrative tools local security options changer from which didn't even say jim it said administrator. so if anyone can help me please let me know if theres a way to change it and get jim out of there all together let me know thanks for all your help

In Control Panel>System>Computer Name you change it, click Apply and OK then restart the system. In Control Panel>User Accounts, you can set up accounts in the name of each of the family members if you wish, and delete Jim's account while you're in there. If you really want to, note the name of the Registered Owner from Control Panel>System>General tab then go into the Registry, find each instance and change it - but there may be quite a few...

jasonpf1123

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
thanks for the tip but tip but i figured it out. i went right click on my computer to manage to local users and groups click users click name you wanna change change it reboot and now instead of jim it says family