Disable scrolling of the taskbar (annoying) when to many p..

August 23, 2005 10:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello all.

The taskbar has a a couple of new features in Windows XP.

They might be a nice touch if you are new to Windows, but if you have worked
with it for 10 years or so, you have gotten used to "your" way of doing
things, and would like to keep them.

The problem is that "your" way of doing things soon turn into Microsoft's
way of doing things.

First, there is the "Keep programs together". Thankfully, it is possible to
disable this feature.

Secondly is the brilliant (not) new feature that if there are "too" many
programs running at a time, their taskbar windows may end up on a second or
third line, that you have to scroll down to locate.

In previous versions of Windows, these icons were "compressed" so that their
width got smaller and smaller as your had more and more programs running.

I agree that it is somewhat difficult to read the caption of the window when
the window on the taskbar was just a sliver wide, but you just moved your
mouse over the it and a helpful tooltip told you what the title was. And
when it got too bad, one closed down a bunch of them so one once again
reached a manageable number of open programs, who's windows in the taskbar
wasn't too small to hoover over.

Since I customarily have about 15 or so programs running constantly, which I
need in my work, and I don't like the old ALT-TAB combination, is there
ANYWAY to disable this annoyance?

I have looked for it on the web, and I see a number of people asking about
it, but I see no answers, so I'm hoping someone here might help out.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:34:08 PM

Henrik wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> The taskbar has a a couple of new features in Windows XP.
>
> They might be a nice touch if you are new to Windows, but if you have
> worked with it for 10 years or so, you have gotten used to "your" way
> of doing things, and would like to keep them.
>
> The problem is that "your" way of doing things soon turn into
> Microsoft's way of doing things.
>
> First, there is the "Keep programs together". Thankfully, it is
> possible to disable this feature.
>
> Secondly is the brilliant (not) new feature that if there are "too"
> many programs running at a time, their taskbar windows may end up on
> a second or third line, that you have to scroll down to locate.
>
> In previous versions of Windows, these icons were "compressed" so
> that their width got smaller and smaller as your had more and more
> programs running.
>
> I agree that it is somewhat difficult to read the caption of the
> window when the window on the taskbar was just a sliver wide, but you
> just moved your mouse over the it and a helpful tooltip told you what
> the title was. And when it got too bad, one closed down a bunch of
> them so one once again reached a manageable number of open programs,
> who's windows in the taskbar wasn't too small to hoover over.
>
> Since I customarily have about 15 or so programs running constantly,
> which I need in my work, and I don't like the old ALT-TAB
> combination, is there ANYWAY to disable this annoyance?
>
> I have looked for it on the web, and I see a number of people asking
> about it, but I see no answers, so I'm hoping someone here might help
> out.

Check to see in Taskbar Properties if you have the "Group similar taskbar buttons" option selected. If so, remove that check mark.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
August 23, 2005 10:34:08 PM

"Henrik" <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> The taskbar has a a couple of new features in Windows XP.
>
> They might be a nice touch if you are new to Windows, but if you have
> worked with it for 10 years or so, you have gotten used to "your" way of
> doing things, and would like to keep them.
>
> The problem is that "your" way of doing things soon turn into Microsoft's
> way of doing things.
>
> First, there is the "Keep programs together". Thankfully, it is possible
> to disable this feature.
>
> Secondly is the brilliant (not) new feature that if there are "too" many
> programs running at a time, their taskbar windows may end up on a second
> or third line, that you have to scroll down to locate.
>
> In previous versions of Windows, these icons were "compressed" so that
> their width got smaller and smaller as your had more and more programs
> running.
>
> I agree that it is somewhat difficult to read the caption of the window
> when the window on the taskbar was just a sliver wide, but you just moved
> your mouse over the it and a helpful tooltip told you what the title was.
> And when it got too bad, one closed down a bunch of them so one once again
> reached a manageable number of open programs, who's windows in the taskbar
> wasn't too small to hoover over.
>
> Since I customarily have about 15 or so programs running constantly, which
> I need in my work, and I don't like the old ALT-TAB combination, is there
> ANYWAY to disable this annoyance?
>
> I have looked for it on the web, and I see a number of people asking about
> it, but I see no answers, so I'm hoping someone here might help out.

Never had my taskbar change its size simply because I opened more programs.
The taskbar buttons just get smaller as each new program is opened. My
taskbar is locked, but I don't remember seeing my taskbar size change or
scrollbars show up when it wasn't locked.

E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:34:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ronnie he already said he knew how to turn that off
And yes it does happen Vanguard. I have no idea why yours doesn't.

It is a very annoying feature that I would like to know how to turn off as
well.
And damn I hate bottom posting... Im so sick of having to scroll past
everything everyone else has said to read the response.

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Henrik" <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all.
> >
> > The taskbar has a a couple of new features in Windows XP.
> >
> > They might be a nice touch if you are new to Windows, but if you have
> > worked with it for 10 years or so, you have gotten used to "your" way of
> > doing things, and would like to keep them.
> >
> > The problem is that "your" way of doing things soon turn into Microsoft's
> > way of doing things.
> >
> > First, there is the "Keep programs together". Thankfully, it is possible
> > to disable this feature.
> >
> > Secondly is the brilliant (not) new feature that if there are "too" many
> > programs running at a time, their taskbar windows may end up on a second
> > or third line, that you have to scroll down to locate.
> >
> > In previous versions of Windows, these icons were "compressed" so that
> > their width got smaller and smaller as your had more and more programs
> > running.
> >
> > I agree that it is somewhat difficult to read the caption of the window
> > when the window on the taskbar was just a sliver wide, but you just moved
> > your mouse over the it and a helpful tooltip told you what the title was.
> > And when it got too bad, one closed down a bunch of them so one once again
> > reached a manageable number of open programs, who's windows in the taskbar
> > wasn't too small to hoover over.
> >
> > Since I customarily have about 15 or so programs running constantly, which
> > I need in my work, and I don't like the old ALT-TAB combination, is there
> > ANYWAY to disable this annoyance?
> >
> > I have looked for it on the web, and I see a number of people asking about
> > it, but I see no answers, so I'm hoping someone here might help out.
>

> Never had my taskbar change its size simply because I opened more programs.
> The taskbar buttons just get smaller as each new program is opened. My
> taskbar is locked, but I don't remember seeing my taskbar size change or
> scrollbars show up when it wasn't locked.

> E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

August 23, 2005 10:34:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Oh and I can fit 15 programs until mine gets too full and creates a second
bar and I have to use the arrow to get to the second line.

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Henrik" <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all.
> >
> > The taskbar has a a couple of new features in Windows XP.
> >
> > They might be a nice touch if you are new to Windows, but if you have
> > worked with it for 10 years or so, you have gotten used to "your" way of
> > doing things, and would like to keep them.
> >
> > The problem is that "your" way of doing things soon turn into Microsoft's
> > way of doing things.
> >
> > First, there is the "Keep programs together". Thankfully, it is possible
> > to disable this feature.
> >
> > Secondly is the brilliant (not) new feature that if there are "too" many
> > programs running at a time, their taskbar windows may end up on a second
> > or third line, that you have to scroll down to locate.
> >
> > In previous versions of Windows, these icons were "compressed" so that
> > their width got smaller and smaller as your had more and more programs
> > running.
> >
> > I agree that it is somewhat difficult to read the caption of the window
> > when the window on the taskbar was just a sliver wide, but you just moved
> > your mouse over the it and a helpful tooltip told you what the title was.
> > And when it got too bad, one closed down a bunch of them so one once again
> > reached a manageable number of open programs, who's windows in the taskbar
> > wasn't too small to hoover over.
> >
> > Since I customarily have about 15 or so programs running constantly, which
> > I need in my work, and I don't like the old ALT-TAB combination, is there
> > ANYWAY to disable this annoyance?
> >
> > I have looked for it on the web, and I see a number of people asking about
> > it, but I see no answers, so I'm hoping someone here might help out.
>

> Never had my taskbar change its size simply because I opened more programs.
> The taskbar buttons just get smaller as each new program is opened. My
> taskbar is locked, but I don't remember seeing my taskbar size change or
> scrollbars show up when it wasn't locked.

> E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

August 24, 2005 3:46:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello Devious, and thanks for your comments.

As I said in my original posting, I had searched the web for a solution to
this annoyance before doing the post, and I can tell you that Ronnie isn't
the first to give that duh answer, but unfurtunately noone has given a
solution either.
As we have 5 incidents with MS "included" in our partner agreement with
them, and we have used only one so far this year, I am seriously considering
calling them and wasting one incident on this, if no one can help me.

There is a possibilty (registry hack) to set the default width of the
taskbar icons, but that forces the icons to be of a fixed width, thus
disabling the the behaviour of decreasing their width. And while this
increases the number of windows one can have open if one sets this value
really small, you still will se scrolling eventually.

The actual number ones fits into the scrollbar before it starts to scroll,
would have to depend on the number of items in the tray, your screen width
(I use 1152 x 852 on a 19" monitor) and whether you use Quick Launch or not,
and if you do, how many programs you have in that.

I perhaps overstated that I have 15 windows running to just handle my job.
On a average day I have these programs running, give or take.

SQL Enterprise manager, to edit tables and stored procedures.
SQL Query Analyzer, to find data in the database, and test the procedues
One or possibly 2 Visual Studio, to program a web site or whatever.
Outlook for mail.
Outlook Express to check newsgroups like this one.
Perhaps one or more chat windows
One or more windows explorer windows
Possibly a remote desktop connection or two against a customer server

These windows don't usually make the toolbar scroll, although it comes
close.

As I am a programmer (which might be deduced from the above program list), I
also sometime search the web for help on how to accomplish something.
I usually google, and then shift + left click on a bunch of links (open in
new window) that might be of interest. As you can understand, these new
windows, on top of all the others push me over the limit.

// Henrik

"Devious" <Devious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh and I can fit 15 programs until mine gets too full and creates a second
> bar and I have to use the arrow to get to the second line.
>
> "Vanguard" wrote:
>
>> "Henrik" <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all.
>> >
>> > The taskbar has a a couple of new features in Windows XP.
>> >
>> > They might be a nice touch if you are new to Windows, but if you have
>> > worked with it for 10 years or so, you have gotten used to "your" way
>> > of
>> > doing things, and would like to keep them.
>> >
>> > The problem is that "your" way of doing things soon turn into
>> > Microsoft's
>> > way of doing things.
>> >
>> > First, there is the "Keep programs together". Thankfully, it is
>> > possible
>> > to disable this feature.
>> >
>> > Secondly is the brilliant (not) new feature that if there are "too"
>> > many
>> > programs running at a time, their taskbar windows may end up on a
>> > second
>> > or third line, that you have to scroll down to locate.
>> >
>> > In previous versions of Windows, these icons were "compressed" so that
>> > their width got smaller and smaller as your had more and more programs
>> > running.
>> >
>> > I agree that it is somewhat difficult to read the caption of the window
>> > when the window on the taskbar was just a sliver wide, but you just
>> > moved
>> > your mouse over the it and a helpful tooltip told you what the title
>> > was.
>> > And when it got too bad, one closed down a bunch of them so one once
>> > again
>> > reached a manageable number of open programs, who's windows in the
>> > taskbar
>> > wasn't too small to hoover over.
>> >
>> > Since I customarily have about 15 or so programs running constantly,
>> > which
>> > I need in my work, and I don't like the old ALT-TAB combination, is
>> > there
>> > ANYWAY to disable this annoyance?
>> >
>> > I have looked for it on the web, and I see a number of people asking
>> > about
>> > it, but I see no answers, so I'm hoping someone here might help out.
>>

>> Never had my taskbar change its size simply because I opened more
>> programs.
>> The taskbar buttons just get smaller as each new program is opened. My
>> taskbar is locked, but I don't remember seeing my taskbar size change or
>> scrollbars show up when it wasn't locked.
>>
>> --
>> E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

August 25, 2005 6:58:41 AM

Henrik wrote on Wed, 24 Aug 2005:

>As I am a programmer (which might be deduced from the above program list), I
>also sometime search the web for help on how to accomplish something.
>I usually google, and then shift + left click on a bunch of links (open in
>new window) that might be of interest. As you can understand, these new
>windows, on top of all the others push me over the limit.

Hi Henrik

Using a tabbed browser like Firefox will help with that part of your
problem. . .

--
Nightowl
August 25, 2005 8:25:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Nightowl.

Good point. That is an excellent point.
It's just that I'm used to IE, and anyhow, that only works if the windows
are browser windows.
It doesn't help if one ends up with a scrolled taskbar because you have too
many programs that are not browser windows running.

Also, I would like to just reset the behaviour to pre XP, and thus find a
solution, and not just a workaround.

// Henrik

!