Hard disc works everywhere but in my comp

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
i was installing windows 7 in my old comp and when it restarted after the initial installation the computer would freeze at the bios screen.... when i remove my hdd it would get past the bios screen and ask for a boot device(obviously since i removed my hdd)... now i thought there might be a problem with my hdd... may be it has got corrupted.... but when i put this hdd into any other comp it works like a charm... its got all my data files... what i did next was copy all important data... and formatted the hdd.. when i put it back into my comp the bios screen still freezes... dunno what to do...

what might be the problem ??

i also decided that for time being i'll install my old xp os on an usb flash drive... can this be done ?? could u guys plz give me the links to some tutorials... plz... help me :(

Plz

sub mesa

Distinguished
Check system stability, especially memory. So run memtest86+ for some hours to see if your system is stable.

Replace cables too, if that doesn't help download ubuntu livecd, boot from it and test your harddrive if it works in linux. If it doesn't; its likely a hardware issue. If it does; it may be a software issue.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Was this system working perfectly with this same exact hardware installed BEFORE the Win7 installation? Or, is there new hardware involved?

Where I'm headed (because there have been several such posts recently) is the possibility that you have a SATA II hard drive and are connecting it in an older machine that has only an original SATA drive controller - the one that operated at 1.5 Mb/s, rather than 3.0 as new ones do. In that one case of "mismatch" some systems cannot adjust themselves automatically, and you have to force the faster new SATA II drive to slow down to the original SATA speed spec.

If this is your situation - old SATA controller, new SATA II drive - check the drive manufacturer's website for details on how to force the drive to revert to original SATA speed.

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
the hardware was the same before and after i installed windows 7... anyways i dunno what the problem is... but i solved it by re installing my trusted old windows xp from another comp and put it back to my comp and it WORKED :)

Thanks everybody... ur suggestions were helpful...
thanks again