Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Format c trouble

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
November 8, 2010 12:28:46 PM

I'm trying to format the C: drive for a clean re-install, but when I try it,
I get an error message that says:

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs
that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the
contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

I also can`t format it from windows CD installation. when I'm trying to delete partition space with "D" key, it says that it is using some files for installation from there and can`t delete partition.

More about : format trouble

November 8, 2010 12:35:40 PM

superpelis said:
I'm trying to format the C: drive for a clean re-install, but when I try it,
I get an error message that says:

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs
that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the
contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

I also can`t format it from windows CD installation. when I'm trying to delete partition space with "D" key, it says that it is using some files for installation from there and can`t delete partition.



You can't format it while the system is still running from it but there's no reason for the problem with the XP CD. Have you tried pressing Enter to install on that Partition and then to repair that installation?

November 8, 2010 12:39:28 PM

Saga Lout said:

You can't format it while the system is still running from it but there's no reason for the problem with the XP CD. Have you tried pressing Enter to install on that Partition and then to repair that installation?



yes, and it works, but i want to make a clean reinstall with formatting HDD
Related resources
November 8, 2010 12:45:42 PM

superpelis said:
yes, and it works, but i want to make a clean reinstall with formatting HDD



At that stage, there aren't any other files running. You just select the Partition to delete, hit D then Enter then L. How many Partitions are in there?

November 8, 2010 1:50:36 PM

when i hit D it says that it is using some files for installation from disc that's why its impossible to delete partition. I have only one partition.
November 8, 2010 6:35:13 PM

superpelis said:
when i hit D it says that it is using some files for installation from disc that's why its impossible to delete partition. I have only one partition.



Can't understand why that is but the only choices you have is either to slave that drive to another machine for the purpose of formatting or to use a bootable CD such as Hirens which has tools to format and create Partitions.

November 8, 2010 9:44:27 PM

Are you booting from the windows disk??
November 10, 2010 2:35:07 PM

yes, I am booting from disk.

Thanks saga, I will try that
!