Help finding a new air cooler

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Can anyone help recommend a new air cooler for my 9600BE? The catch is I do not want to remove the motherboard to install it so it needs to be able to be put on with clips. My motherboard is a ECS A780GM-A. I want to lower my temps so I can overclock it further.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
I was looking at the Dark Knight by Xigmatek but Im worried about it fitting. The RAM I use has tall heatsinks. Anyone have experience with this cooler and its size?

mognet

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I have non dark knight version but fitting it is a bit of an issue since it is really large. If you have large heatsinks on your ram you will likely have issues since the clearance over the rams for me is very small. it would depend on the MB lay too though

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I have the S1283 Darknight cooler and it's huge so double check for case fitment before purchase. In regards to cooling, it's great but the heatsink was so big that it blocked one of the RAM slot closest to the CPU so I had to use the 2nd dim set for my dual channel instead. The Darknight (or any of the S1283 line-up) will snap on fine but regardless of what cooler you buy, I recommend taking the extra effort to check for proper seating/placement.

Before you buy a new cooler, consider that (in general) the Phenom I's were never great overclockers. My old Phenom 9600BE paired to a new 790GX/750SB motherboard with ACC enabled could mustered only a 300mhz overclock (at max safe voltage) where as my Phenom II 720 was able to reach 3.7ghz (900mhz).

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
My 9600BE is overclocking pretty well. It sits at 2.7ghz right now and can go higher, but the temps are what I am trying to battle. At 2.8, I need 1.37 volts and the room my computer is in does not have the best cooling. The temps at load are going to 55C+. If I can find a better cooler, I want to try for 3.0ghz. If I could even just get suitable temps at 2.8ghz, I would be happy.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Update: Got the Dark Knight and installed it. Ran into a problem when I found out the company that built this machine for me had glued to hsf to the cpu; I ranted about it in the CPU forum, so that's another story. Anyway, currently at
2.7ghz ,1.4volts and idling around 26 C. Load goes up to 45 C Max. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get stable above 2.7ghz. I can run at 2.8ghz, but it crashes out unpredictably regardless of volts, even at low temps. Guess I have to live with what I got. I am very happy that I attained decent temps now at 2.7ghz. It was getting as hot as 61 C with the stock cooler.

Thanks for everyone's input.

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

Those Xigmatek's are way too big , they work nice and look nice but some take up almost a qaurter of case space depending on how big your case is.Check out some of the Zalmans maybe.

souper61

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008

Get yourself an AMD64 Freezer Pro....