Sign in with
Your question

Is this Virus related or Hardware??

Last response: in Motherboards
September 22, 2008 9:24:15 PM

I have a computer here that i am fixing for a friend. None of the USB ports work. The mouse does not come on at all, the lights on the keyboard come on, but it does not function. I then figured I'd try using the PS/2 ports. I was able to get the mouse working, but the keyboard is completely dead. I then went into device manager to check on the drivers and the list is gone. So this teels me the computer most likely has a virus, but i dont know what to do. I tried just formatting and reloading the OS, but the CD-Rom drive will not read anything I put in it. It just seems a virus is screwing around with all the viruses. It seems I have no other choice of trying to flash the BIOS. Does anyone have any suggestions?

More about : virus related hardware

September 22, 2008 10:07:28 PM

Did you try inserting the windows disc while windows was running, or did you boot from it?
September 22, 2008 10:35:50 PM

will not load from OS or wen i try to boot from it
Related resources
September 22, 2008 10:51:06 PM

It seems like there might be something wrong with something on the motherboard. Is it possible to re-flash the bios and see if that helps? I keep thinking that maybe there's sh*t messed up in the bios or the motherboard is ruined.
September 22, 2008 11:13:37 PM

I would slow down a little bit. What you have described is not going to be helped with a BIOS flash. It could be a virus. If so what anti-virus program are you using? Have you tried starting in safe-mode and doing a system restore.
September 22, 2008 11:27:03 PM

Trying running a live CD such as Ubuntu to check if the computer functions properly. Then you could rule out either software or hardware. If you can't boot to CD then it has to be motherboard. Make sure your BOIS options are set to boot to CD before hard disk.
September 22, 2008 11:29:10 PM

That's a good idea. I keep a copy of linux on cd just in case these days. If you need help burning the iso, i can try to help with that.
September 22, 2008 11:37:36 PM

I see what you're ssaying, but why would it be any different running an ubunti cd over a windows cd? The computer is an emachines, so I was able to obtain an actual recovery disk and had no luck with that either. I also tryed swappng to a known good HDD and that didnt work.
are you telling me to use Ubuntu because that whoe OS can be ran right from the CD?
September 23, 2008 2:10:36 AM

wheely34 said:
I see what you're ssaying, but why would it be any different running an ubunti cd over a windows cd? The computer is an emachines, so I was able to obtain an actual recovery disk and had no luck with that either. I also tryed swappng to a known good HDD and that didnt work.
are you telling me to use Ubuntu because that whoe OS can be ran right from the CD?

The entire OS boots off the disc into your memory which means it doesn't refer to your hard drive at all. Besides a virus wouldn't effect Linux. It's just a way to determine the problem; a software or hardware problem.

Download a live cd from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

If you need software to burn the downloaded .iso you could use: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

The concept is just to make sure your hardware works, Ubuntu runs completely different then Windows so if its just Windows then your hardware will run fine. Although if you did switch the bad hard drive for a good hard drive, it sounds like a hardware problem.
September 23, 2008 3:06:45 AM

well yes, i did swap it for a known good one, but i'm still going to check out ubuntu. i'll burn a copy tomorrow and see what happens. but i do have a feeling this is harware related.
!