Solved

Last Logical Drives Dissapear

Hello Everybody

I've bought this Sragate 500GB (Recognized as 465GB) HDD and moved everyhing into it. Here are my partitions all in NTFS:

Primary (101MB) - NTFS - Created during Win7 setup - I'll delete when I'm ready to install a new OS
Primary (75GB) - NTFS - Win7 is installed here
Primary (25GB) - NTFS - WinXP SP2 is here

Extended (around 365GB) - and I'm having problems inside it
--------First Logical (350GB) - NTFS
--------A remaining size of 15.62GB (15998MB) that may consist of one or some logical drives

I installed my win7 and winxp in the 2nd and 3rd primary and I switch between these two by activaving the appropriate one. when I'm in XP and activate 75GB primart to boot in win7 something strange happens:

Except the 1st logical drive, any other logical drive I have after it dissapears and turns into unpartitioned space. and it seems to be a bug of windows disk management tool or limitation in winxp. the point is that there's no such a problem when I do the same in win7 exactly.

Can anybody give me some advice how to fix this?

There's a danger that my 350GB drive fades away some day with all data in it! I think.

Here's a screenshot of this process:

http://gotsharing.com/images/lastlogica.jpg

thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about last logical drives dissapear
  1. Any Ideas? I'm so close to repartition which will waste me at least a good day.:(
  2. Yuck, start over and create normal partitions.

1) 100MB Windows 7 system reserved partition
    2) C: partition for Windows 7
    3) D: partition for Windows XP

3 primary partitions, and this should work. If you really really really want, you can create a forth partition, but don't create the jungle you made; its prone to errors and bugs in windows.
  3. It is not my jungle, It's win7's. I want to delete the 1st partition but it makes me edit boot.ini and such stuff and I currently have no reason to do it 1st.

I think there's a problem with extended partition size and I can't take the risk without any advice. I opened norton partition magic in xp and the following window showed up:

http://gotsharing.com/images/norpart.jpg

I just can't press the ok button. I just don't know which partition it means. It may truncate one of partitions and ruin the whole NTFS structure I fear.

could you help me out to recognize where the starting sector of each partition is, using a tool? then I can trust norton partition magic and press the ok button.
  4. Best answer
    PartitionMagic causes more problems than it solves. Its dangerous and generally, you should reinstall everything from scratch.

Start installing Windows 7, delete all partitions and create a C: partition, then install XP to D:.
  5. thank you buddy

I'm agree with you and I'm going to do it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NTFS Storage