New HD4850 Freezes while holding Shift

compy386

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I just built a new system with Windows Vista 32 bit, Phenom 9600, and a HD 4850 graphics card. I was all excited to start gaming but I've run into quite a few problems that seem video card related, but they might not me. First all of the games are stuttering quite a bit. I was playing UT3 and Stalker and they both run fine (100 or so FPS), but they often dip so low that the game stutters. I can't figure out what the problem is. The other strange one that might be related is that both games freeze when I hold the shift key down and they resume when I let go of the button. I can't figure out why. Any thoughts?

compy386

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I'm using 8.6 drivers. I'll try defraging the hard drive to see if I can eliminate the stuttering.

I think I figured out the shift problem. My keyboard repeat rate in vista was set too high. It just froze the computer any time a key was held down. I noted it when i held down left to move in my post and it froze the computer as well.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Use the Hotfix drivers, direct install, Catalyst 8.6 is NOT optimal for the 4850. Also, a new install of Vista spends a couple of days indexing all the files on the system, that would probably be causing the stuttering, along with those wrong drivers.