Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD Light On ; Fan @ Full Blast ; Blank Screen...

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 5, 2009 2:07:35 PM

Hi, everyone.

My question may be similar to others. I'm still researching for an answer and would like your support in facilitating the process.

This is a home-built pc.

Some specifications:

MB: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Graphic card: EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3
Power Supply: Corsair HX 520W (Modular)
Rams: 2x 2gb Kingston ( I believe)
Operating System: XP Pro SP2

The issue started couple of days ago and I suspect it may be software related, but not 100% sure.

When I press the power button:

1) the fans seems to work at full power (loud)
2) the light for HDD (Seagate) comes on and remains on.
3) Nothing comes up on screen. (when I press buttons on monitor, it says it has no signal from pc)
4) When I press the eject button on dvd-burner, it quickly opens and goes back inside.

I have tried running Seagate's disc utility, and tried to see if I can install Linux so that I can retrieve some important files. I really need to buy a dedicated external hard drive just for backup, but it seems it won't be able to even format the drive, how it is responding right now.

What I plan on doing: I will take the hard drive and test it on a friend's computer and post the results.

Any suggestions and input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 5, 2009 8:33:55 PM

UPDATE: The good news is that when I plugged in the HD into my friend's pc, the windows came up and I was able to backup some important files into my flash drive.

The bad news is that it still doesn't bootup and screen's blank. The fans seem to work at full speed and power light and HDD light stay on.
November 6, 2009 3:26:30 AM

I had a Lenovo PC that did the exact same thing. It turned out to be the motherboard. Luckily I got it replaced for free.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 6, 2009 4:54:36 AM

Dougx1317 said:
I had a Lenovo PC that did the exact same thing. It turned out to be the motherboard. Luckily I got it replaced for free.

Thanks. It's been only 3 months! I have already contacted Gigabyte, see if I can replace it.

Best solution

November 6, 2009 3:17:21 PM

Hi
Try to reset bios.

Vann
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 9, 2009 3:37:18 AM

Vann and Dougx1317, thank you for your suggestions!

I'm replying from the same pc!

I reset the bios by removing the round battery for about 5 minutes. I turned in the pc back on and it rebooted fine.
!