Asus P5Q-Pro - Marvell Controller Required?

stevebiko

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Can you guys clear something up for me. Im running a Asus P5Q-Pro and on the CD came a Marvell SATA/IDE Driver. I always thought IDE and SATA were completely different, red cables versus the old school ribbon ide cables. I have no IDE devices in my machine but since this Marvell had the words SATA in it, I figured maybe its a SATA controller and that maybe I need it so I installed it.

Can someone please clarify if I actually need this thing?

There is a setting in the BIOS as well that has three selections AHPI (or something), IDE and RAID. Since there was no SATA setting im starting to think that IDE and SATA have some kind of connected controller.

So confused.

taylor138

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I disabled marvell ide in bios since i don't ever plan on using it (and was sick of seeing the "warning no drive" on boot).

Now the installation disc doesn't even give the the option to install the drivers. It's just simply not there. I can only assume that the driver is only for IDE and completely unrelated to SATA.

I'm also a little confused/concerned but I'm not going to worry about it since everything seems to be working fine.