Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Clear Connection Manager and Windows XP 64 bit edition SP2

Last response: in Windows XP
November 9, 2010 12:20:50 AM

I'm running XP 64 bit SP2 on my system and when I try to install the Clear Connection Manager for Clear Wireless 4g Internet it stops with the error that i must be running at least Windows XP SP1 before I install the connection manager. Only problem is that I'm running SP2. I guess the installer is reading the OS as older than XP SP1. I do know the XP 64 bit edition is based on the Windows 2003 core kernel so it confuses me that the installer would see an older OS instead of a newer one.

Clear's technical support is less than helpful. Their recommendation is to upgrade my OS to windows vista or 7. That is not helpful. There is a reason I am still running XP 64 bit. Vista and 7 64 bit have issues I don't care to deal with. So do I deal with no internet and XP or ati video driver crashes on vista or 7? What's a 64 bit geek to do here???

One thought is to somehow trick the installer into thinking that it is running on a different OS version than it is. I would have to know either where the installer is reading the OS version from --OR-- how to modify the installer so that the OS version check is disabled. Either option is a bit out of my league..................

Any suggestions would be great. thanks in advance :cry: 
November 9, 2010 3:26:26 AM

I never used XP 64-bit; nevertheless, is there an option to run the install in XP 32-bit mode?

For that you might have to copy the whole CD to a folder on you HDD and run the install from there.
Score
November 9, 2010 11:54:38 PM

Oddly enough that didn't work. That was a good try though since I'd not thought of it! Thanks! Still need ideas and Clear tech supt is still not helpful lol
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 10, 2010 12:01:29 AM

Another shot in the dark:

Since the XP 64 bit edition is based on the Windows 2003 core kernel as you said, have you tried using the Vista or Win 7 drivers.

November 19, 2010 12:59:29 PM

Smashing idea chap! That worked. The installer threw a couple errors but it installed enough to connect me to the network! Thanks man... was really not looking forward to migrating backwards to XP 32-bit. :bounce: 
Score
November 19, 2010 1:00:12 PM

Best answer selected by auriuman78m.
Score
!