Software regulated fan controller, (Stupid P5Q-E)

tjcinnamon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
I am looking for a software controlled fan controller. I have an ASUS P5Q-E motherboard and it does not work well with SpeedFan.

Some fans on the Auxiliary heads can be run on SpeedFan (not consistently nor intuitively) and the CPU fan can only be controlled via QFan (ASUS’ fan regulation feature) which the P5Q does not leave any ratios to be configured (contrary to the manual). It simply has 3 modes: Standard, Maximum, or Silent (unsure on exact wording).

I’m looking for a fan controller that can modulate the fan speeds automatically.

The problem with many controllers is that they rely on temperature probes which don’t give the most accurate readings (particularly for the CPU).

Ideally I am looking for a fan controller that can use the motherboard temp reads to set the fan speed.

Unfortunately the P5Q-E is not an nVidia chipset and therefore not ESA certified where I could use a Silverstone to monitor temps and speeds.

Any ideas,
JOe K.

Xigmatek 1283 with 3k KAZE’s (push/pull)
2 200mm case fans with a 120 tricool on the back.

I expect it to be loud but I’d like to conserve power as well as quiet it down when it’s not rendering video or doing processor intensive tasks.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Why not just use the Bios controller for your CPU fan?

If it's too loud maybe a better HS, case, or moving to Alaska or northern Finland would help?

3K Kaz's OMG and your looking for quiet? Funny...................

Few temp controller fan controllers can work with those amp sucking fans.

tjcinnamon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
The problem with the BIOS controller is that it requires a 4-pin fan and the KAZE is only 3 pin as well as the BIOS settings for Q-Fan are not customizable. They have Silent, Standard and Turbo. They don't give thresholds or ratios for what these ratings mean.

fedsix

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I installed the KAZE fans too. 4 in total in my Cosmos 1000. Amazing airflow, but yes, they are very loud at max. (server grade) Like you, I want the option to crank it up when necessary (gaming, rendering, etc), and lower it when there is not such a load on the system. I got the P6T, and onboard fan controllers don't work for me either. that being said, I'm looking for a 5 1/4 Fan control panel. There's quite a few of them on Newegg.ca. I suggest you look there to check out the reviews to see what meets your needs. I'll probably be ordering one over the next few days. I'll post back with details once I get it hooked up.

bajonet

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Spead Fan 4.40 Working Gud . :))))))Nothing Happens Until Something MovesStart and move speed 1 speed 2 or sppeed 3 if you have 3pin on fans.Cool ) Quest and CPU fans .Asus P5q-e Rulezzz :bounce:

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Interesting. What did you say in normal english please? This an't twitter in 5th grade dudzer rockzzz and stuff.