DG31PR PCi Express Problem

kamaal

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Hi,

I purchased Intel DG31PR mainboard and trying to get my existing EVGA 7600GT PCIE (Model: 256-P2-N615-TX) working it but it fails. The config is DG31PR, E7200 Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB 800Mhz Transcend RAM, 500GB SATA HDD and 7600GT 256MB DDR3 PCI Express Card. When I power on the system the display looks ok till Bios level but as soon as Windows start loading the display goes to 4 bit color and is bad and by the time Windows loads the Monitor goes into standby with no signal message. The System keeps working as the keyboard responds and the windows start sound also comes so I assume the card fails to set the native resolution of the monitor which is Viewsonic 22 inch LCD. I tried installing Windows XP many times with different driver versions but same problem. Tried using Analog and DVI output but again same problem. I feel it is something to do with the Mainboard as the card works on my old 945GNT Mainboard without any problems. Please suggest what steps can I take to resolve this problem. I have tried both Windows XP and Vista but the same problem persisted.

Kamaal

cyrarchy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
we have a very similar machine, and though my problem is not exact but i am facing a problem too! if you had any luck with yours maybe you could help with mine.

here goes!

intel e7200 c2d 2.53ghz
intel dg31pr motherboard
kingston 2gb + 1gb ddrII ram
seagate 240 gb sata hd
seagate 160 gb ata/ide hd
xfx geforce 8500gt 512mb ddrII
samsung dvd rw
emachines micro atx casing with 300w psu

ok, so purchased this rig about a month back. I have windows vista ultimate 32bit installed. the computer would hang randomly, sometimes playing games and sometimes just when its idle. my computer is usually on so I didn’t make much of it first thinking it was probably some software issue. it kept on persisting! so I decided to replace my windows which I did. problem remained, updated all drivers, problem remained. tried removing 1 stick at a time of ram and checking , the problem remained. tried having only 1 hard disk installed, the problem remained, tried without my gpu and with the built in vga, it didn’t hang but the games crashed! (obviously) so I got another graphics card and installed that but the problem remained. all this while I was also noting the temperatures recorded in the bios as well readings that speed fan was getting. pretty high temperatures I must say! the cpu was constant around 40 - 50 c which is ok but the motherboard/system temperature used to be 80c + constantly, thought that wasn’t right and decided to give up and take it to the vendor,took it to the vendor, nice chap, helped out as much as he could but couldn’t figure out the problem. he thought it was heating up too, he blamed my casing saying its too small and wasn’t exhausting (side cover is always open so didn’t think that could be the problem) anyway he setup my system without the chasis but still the temperatures were high! he tried changing the motherboard to another dg31pr but the temperatures remained same! at one point even exceeded 100 c !!!

so we decided to change the motherboard altogether, he had an old d945gcnl lying around which we tried , everythign else the same ... surprisingly it worked! it worked just fine ... the temperature of the cpu I could check in the bios it was around 40 but this motherboard never gave me a temp for the motherboard so couldn’t compare. anyway , tried it for a month, didn’t hang once even while playing COD4 (high setting) and crysis (lowest settings). the new problem though were 2, 1 this was an old motherboard model wise and 2 it didn’t support more then 2gb ram so my 1gb ran was lying useless.

I checked on the internet and with other vendors that e7200 processor and dg31pr are the most common combinations these days so surely it cant be a compatibility issue ??? so I bugged my vendor into giving me a processor and motherboard , same models e7200 and dg31pr from another stock which had just arrived. I have had it for 7 hours now and it had already hung and restarted once like it used to before! I am completely bummed why this is happening.

need a solution fast! don’t want to go back as surely that isnt an accpetable solution for me.

weissetod

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Oh hell, I'm having exactly the same issue as you cyrarchy
I've been googling for a few days about my problem and just found this thread.
I've also seen about the BIOS updates and I've been wondering if that might help somehow, I'll need to wait to have some time at night when the temperatures aren't that bad in order to try a BIOS update.

The northbridge temperature of my mainboard was somewhat bad since I started to use this computer, I was using the onboard video for four months before I was able to put a pcie video card, after that the northbridge temperature has gone even higher just now it is at 92ºC the only thing different from your problem is that my computer is still working and has been working without hanging up. Of course when the temperature is this bad I don't even think about playing any game.

My setup:
Intel E8300 C2D 2.83ghz
Intel DG31PR
2 x 2GB DDR2 667
MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC
Omega 600W PSU

jiro

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
It's an NVIDIA driver issue. Not sure if it's windows problem or nvidia problem

check out the NVIDIA forum.

Mine started after installing the lastest driver.

First, i had the - Black Screen problem
similar to here
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4391.html

Then booted to VGA only (press F8)

This partially solved my problem but it turned into 4bit problem like you describe.

i tried to solve the problem here.

after a lot of retries and experimentation, it suddenly work.

i dont know exactly what i did to fix it. it must be somewhere on these things.

Install Latest driver
I booted to safemode uninstall the driver
Install the driver - booted to black screen
rebooted (press F8) VGA mode only
Install Latest driver
Change Resolution
Apply Changes (do not press OK only apply)
Cancel Changes
Reboot computer (what!? it suddenly worked????!)

------------------------------------
my other theory is that, i cant install the monitor driver if nvidia driver is installed.
so im guesing it might be that also.

dfgsg

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
It's an NVIDIA driver issue. Not sure if it's windows problem or nvidia problem

check out the NVIDIA forum.

Mine started after installing the lastest driver.

First, i had the - Black Screen problem
similar to here
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversi [...] t4391.html

Then booted to VGA only (press F8)

This partially solved my problem but it turned into 4bit problem like you describe.

i tried to solve the problem here.

after a lot of retries and experimentation, it suddenly work.

i dont know exactly what i did to fix it. it must be somewhere on these things.

Install Latest driver
Install the driver - booted to black screen
rebooted (press F8) VGA mode only
Install Latest driver
Change Resolution
Apply Changes (do not press OK only apply)
Cancel Changes
Reboot computer (what!? it suddenly worked????!)

------------------------------------
my other theory is that, i cant install the monitor driver if nvidia driver is installed.
so im guesing it might be that also.

TRENDING THREADS