Sign in with
Your question

Does the site code on a pcb have to match?

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 6, 2009 3:28:49 AM

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS p/n 9B413E-033 Firmware 3.ADG number on chip 100404226. I have found a PCB on Ebay that matches all of the above numbers however their site code is a WU and mine is TK. Does the site code have to match?

More about : site code pcb match

a c 415 G Storage
November 6, 2009 8:06:09 PM

Does the site code have to match in order to do what?

It really doesn't matter at all if you're just trying to buy another drive to go into a system with an existing drive. Even if you want to put them into a RAID set it's completely irrelevant - you don't even have to use a drive from the same manufacturer.
September 7, 2012 7:31:54 PM

Quote:
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS p/n 9B413E-033 Firmware 3.ADG number on chip 100404226. I have found a PCB on Ebay that matches all of the above numbers however their site code is a WU and mine is TK. Does the site code have to match?

IF site code is "TK", putting a board with the site code "SU" in will result in a fried drive. It will still power on but it will start making clicking sounds, and will power down after it self tests. This will make data recovery near impossible. The only way to recover thereafter is to bypass S.M.A.R.T. However, I have never seen a PCB for code "WU", so I can't be real sure. Moreover, if you vaule your data, you might not want to experiment. After I figured that out I have successfully recover data from a ST3300620AS, and two st3320620AS's. but don't tempt your luck. Good Luck. :wahoo: 

-Mitchelle.
Related resources
September 28, 2012 10:10:33 PM

Hi fzabkr,

I have seen your comments across a few sites now in searching for a solution to my problem and have found your advice to be quite accurate and reliable. (Perhaps your should become a consultant :D )

I was hoping you could provide some incite into an issue with my 7200.12 1tb. unfortunately this poor drive has been through the works. I dropped it once with the cables in which broke the adapter board inside the case. Naturally i pulled the case apart and replaced the adapter board with the only apapter i had at the time which was a Western Digital adapter board which worked and I backed up some data. i managed to use it for some time like this until one day it didnt appear as a drive in my computer. i assumed the WD adapter was stuffed so I bought a proper universal external case. plugged it in .. was a no go and to this day i'm left at this point. The drive winds up makes a tick or two (sounds healthy) and then spins at a medium speed as if its consistently being prepared for access. I manage to view the volume in windows but when i try to view data from it it pretty much will spend eternity trying to load and never shows any data. occasionally i will get the "this drive needs to be formatted before it can be used" but it usually fails even if i try

In your opinion do you think changing the pci board will help? or as I fear do you think its more likely to be the needle and head?
a c 288 G Storage
September 29, 2012 8:39:17 AM

I'm not a data recovery professional, but it's most likely not a board fault. Instead it sounds more like a head or media fault, possibly as a consequence of having been dropped.

Try a comprehensive SMART diagnostic. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

AISI, your only hope for DIY data recovery would be to clone your drive sector-by-sector using a tool that knows how to work around bad sectors (eg ddrescue), and then use data recovery software on the clone.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Ddrescue can perform multipass cloning. It clones the easy sectors on the first pass, and attempts the more difficult ones on subsequent passes. It can also clone your drive in reverse, thereby disabling lookahead caching. It keeps a log, allowing it to resume after an interruption.
!