New computer...very high CPU temperatures.

timslin

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I recently installed a zalman cpns9700 cooler on top of a e8400 in a p5q deluxe. At stock settings the cpu idles at 40 and loads at 52. When i overclock it to 3.6, it idles at 44 and loads at 60. It cant complete the stress test on prime 95. I reapplied the thermal paste after cleaning it with 90% alcohol. No change. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I took temperatures from speedfan, core temp, and the asus pc probe 2. They are all slightly different, but all very high none the less. I really want to overclock it to 3.6, the temps im getting are actually worst then the stock fan i think. Any help is appreciated. Maybe after several weeks the temperatures will get better, i just installed it today.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Your chip might be very concave. If that's the case, lapping your Zalman9700 and 8400 should drop your temps underload by about 10 degrees celcius. But be warry, you void your warranty doing this, and there are some risks involved.

I did it to my Q6600 and TR120 Ultra, and it dropped the temps about 11 degrees celcius.

G

well... its the summer... and your ambient room temp could be high... and... theres a ton of different factors... my cpu idled 25 w/ a thermalright si-128 in the winter... and now idles at 36 c.... over a 10 c difference...