Newbie hook-up question

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 23, 2005 3:01:48 PM

I hope somebody can help me.

I am having trouble hooking parts of my system up.

I have:

Marantz SR7300 A/V Receiver
Sony KDE-37XS955 HDTV
Motorola HD cable box
JVC HR S5902U VCR
Panasonic DVD RV32

I want to record and playback VHS can somebody help with a schematic?

Right now I have
1. all digital audio is running to 7300
2. component running from cable box to TV
3. the DVD (component) running to the TV
4. the RF is running to the VHS
5. the VHS (S-video) running to the TV

Is this correct? Should I be running the RF to the VHS at all? My cable
provider doesn't support HDMI yet. Should any video be running trough
the 7300? I am using a harmony universal remote to control as much as
possible.

ANY help is appreciated.

More about : newbie hook question

Anonymous
September 23, 2005 6:55:57 PM

I think that RF is where I was having the question.

To play a video I would use the S-video out and connect it to the TV or
the A/V, correct?

As many times as I have hooked a stereo system I am having a major
brain cramp on this and none of the owners books are helping.

Thanks so far. ;-)
September 23, 2005 7:21:03 PM

<bmitd67@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I hope somebody can help me.
>
> I am having trouble hooking parts of my system up.
>
> I have:
>
> Marantz SR7300 A/V Receiver
> Sony KDE-37XS955 HDTV
> Motorola HD cable box
> JVC HR S5902U VCR
> Panasonic DVD RV32
>
> I want to record and playback VHS can somebody help with a schematic?
>
> Right now I have
> 1. all digital audio is running to 7300
> 2. component running from cable box to TV
> 3. the DVD (component) running to the TV
> 4. the RF is running to the VHS
> 5. the VHS (S-video) running to the TV
>
> Is this correct? Should I be running the RF to the VHS at all? My cable
> provider doesn't support HDMI yet. Should any video be running trough
> the 7300? I am using a harmony universal remote to control as much as
> possible.
>
> ANY help is appreciated.

I've found that running the video through an A/V receiver is unnecessary,
just use the TV inputs instead.
It's probably a lot more work, but you could try it both ways to see which
is easiest to use.

As far as the RF into the VHS, that's good... it's required actually to do
any recording.
September 24, 2005 11:27:00 AM

>I think that RF is where I was having the question.
>
> To play a video I would use the S-video out and connect it to the TV or
> the A/V, correct?

Yes, either way.

> As many times as I have hooked a stereo system I am having a major
> brain cramp on this and none of the owners books are helping.

You're not alone.

But your system should be working okay the way you described it.

!