What do i need to know about liquid cooling a pc?

polyzp

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I am ordering a computer off of ibuypower that is liquid cooled.

When i recieve this will the tubes be filled already? What fluid am i going to use and i water sufficient? Do i nee to change the whole water cooling system every year? the tubes?

Any help would be great!

- Panos -

polyzp

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

Forgot to Add..

I will be using:

Asetek’s 240mm radiator liquid-cooling

Is this maintenance free?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It will do OK to cool that processor. I wouldn't dare add any other components to that loop. I guess you are ok since it should be covered by manufacturer warranty, and yes...it should be filled when you get it. If not, I would be surprised. The reason people buy those machines with liquid cooling in them is because they don't know how to do it themselves and asking someone who doesn't know what they are doing to do one of the most important things (fill/purge) a WC system isn't the best idea.

Maintenence free? No WC system ever is...but you should check and see if they 'state' it is maintenence free.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Highly doubtful on tubing. If it gets to that point, it will be time to upgrade your entire system anyway...along with that watercooler. As it is, it won't really do that well to cool that i7 processor, let alone the next thing to come along.

All serious watercoolers use distilled water with either kill coils or some Petra's PT nuke or something similar. (I think there is a newer version??)

LIke I mentioned before, the only real thing you have going for you is that it should be covered by the warranty...but I would make sure you read the specifics of that.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

They will tell you anything you want to hear in hopes of making a sale.

In reality it will at the very least require you to replace the liquid in a few years.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^Right, no WC system is ever maintenance free. If it is...run away...fast. In the case of most boutique builders, the WC 'system' is more novelty than actual performance based. They could get as good of performance out of a good aftermarket air cooler for what they get with that 'WC' system.