Sign in with
Your question

RAM or 285 gtx help...coupled with Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2009 3:27:34 PM

I used to have a 7300 GS installed on my P35- S3G Gigabyte motherboard. This with a q6600 @ 3.4 @ 1.375 Vcore. So the temps were safe and the overclock was Prime stable. The ram ran at 6-6-6-18 because my ram sucks [Kingston ValueRam 2GB] and i had to loosen it for more overclock. Nevertheless, everything was perfect...pc was fine....!!!

Then I got the EVGA FTW 285 GTX. So all the equipment was the same, but just new graphics. I had installed the graphics and booted. So it restarted in an effort to first get the 3.4 ghz but then rebooted to the original 2.4 Ghz. Everything was stable at 2.4 Ghz. But that was a bottleneck speed, so increased FSB to 333 x9 to try that first at 1.325 Vcore just to see [ RAM: 825 +1V 6-6-6-18 ] but that didn't work. THe pc just rebooted. I tried every possibilty in mulitiplier and FSB and voltage but none worked. It just reboots at the energy logo [not in windows] at startup.. [like this http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attachments/intel-mother...]

Do i need to loosen the ram even more?
Bad ram sticks?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me... Its sad because i score a 12320 GPU score...but only a around 8000 so it round up to about P11111...again thank you all for helping...

PS.
I have a Coolit Domino ALC...my temps are in the 32C's
I have a northbridge cooler...just a fan part from the 7300 GS placed on top of the original heatsink.
My mobo is a GA-P35-S3G.
I have a 680 watt power supply..
I moved around the ram sticks in different slots to see if that works...but it doesn't

********I don't know if this helps: I have set the startup to that energy logo thingie where it shows what the motherboard detects...so anyways it always reboots [when overclocked] at the Memory testing thing [where it detects the amount of memory]

So its like----------------------------
Processor Type: Quad COre q 6600 running at 3.0 @ 333x9 [ENGERY LOGO]

Memory Running at Single Channel
Memory Testing...
REBOOT
--------------------------------

If you don't understand ^^^ it looks like this [http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attachments/intel-mother...]

Again thank you for your help..tried to put in as much info as possible
CONTACT: bluejamesbond@gmail.com or just reply here in the forum
July 7, 2009 5:58:07 PM

there isn't anyone with an idea....
July 7, 2009 6:43:22 PM

Might be your power supply crapping out on you. Who is the manufacturer?
AC
Related resources
July 7, 2009 6:45:12 PM

680W psu - what make, model, how old and whats the max amperage on 12v rail

Anyway, to try and rule out power shortage try booting with bare minimum(only cpu, ram and (new)gfx card - unplug all drives and fans apart from the cpu one ofcourse :) 

Does going back to old gfx card solve the problem? As in if you put the old gfx back, can you reach 3.4ghz again?
July 7, 2009 7:22:52 PM

it is not the power supply because...if i set the fsb to 333 and set everything else to auto...it works fine....except the motherboard automatically overvolts it...
July 7, 2009 7:23:50 PM

So idle temps are like 45-48 C
July 8, 2009 4:38:34 PM

bluejamesbond said:
it is not the power supply because...if i set the fsb to 333 and set everything else to auto...it works fine....except the motherboard automatically overvolts it...

Hi James,
I'm not sure I understand your problem? You can boot and play games etc with the 285 in place at what GHz? Do you only have problems when you try to OC at a certain level?

From here it still looks like it could be your PSU crapping out as you increase the load upon it with your OC, GTX card etc, but I think you're saying that that isn't the case.

Perhaps some more info on your exact problem is needed.
AC
July 8, 2009 4:40:24 PM

I mean for my above post to read as someone who is interested in your problem, not in a grumpy way!
AC
July 8, 2009 4:49:41 PM

ac3144 said:
Hi James,
I'm not sure I understand your problem? You can boot and play games etc with the 285 in place at what GHz? Do you only have problems when you try to OC at a certain level?

From here it still looks like it could be your PSU crapping out as you increase the load upon it with your OC, GTX card etc, but I think you're saying that that isn't the case.

Perhaps some more info on your exact problem is needed.
AC

I can set it to auto voltage and OC it to 3.0 + ghz stable...but when i decide to choose the voltage there is an error....

EXAMPLE:
FSB: 333
Multiplier: 9X
RAM: AUTO
Voltage: AUTO
==============
STABLE!!! [TEMPS: 45+ idle] [COOLIT DOMINO]
==============

Voltage: 1.315 V [It used to run prime stable at 1.2625V [32-34 C idle] ]
==============
NOT OK!!! SHUTS OFF IMMEDIATLY AT STARTUP
==============

THANK YOU ALL FOR SPENDING THE TIME TO READ AND TRYING TO HELP THANK YOU
July 8, 2009 5:11:13 PM

Hi James,
Ok that's clearer thanks. Firstly, I don't think it is a lack of Vcore that is causing your crash. It is reasonable to expect an OC to 3GHz on stock volts (~1.2625v as you have described) so leave the Vcore for now. (apologies if any of this is teaching you to suck eggs)

It could be:

1. Your RAM is being pushed over it's rated speed. Your RAM should be running at ~666MHz with an FSB at 333. If I leave it on auto settings, my Gigabyte board gets it wrong and my comp refuses to boot also. What is the ratio you are running between your RAM:FSB, is it 1:1?

2. Your Gigabyte motherboard does not like your new card. When I plugged in a new external HDD, it caused my comp to go into a continual reboot sequence (similar to what you are describing), I later found out that it was a 'feature' of Gigabyte mobo's and they are well known in the community at least (not officially..) for this. I thought it was due to my overclock.

Keep asking until you get the problem sorted, there are some uber tech minds on here, you just have to catch 'em!
AC
July 8, 2009 6:40:05 PM

ac3144 said:
Hi James,
Ok that's clearer thanks. Firstly, I don't think it is a lack of Vcore that is causing your crash. It is reasonable to expect an OC to 3GHz on stock volts (~1.2625v as you have described) so leave the Vcore for now. (apologies if any of this is teaching you to suck eggs)

It could be:

1. Your RAM is being pushed over it's rated speed. Your RAM should be running at ~666MHz with an FSB at 333. If I leave it on auto settings, my Gigabyte board gets it wrong and my comp refuses to boot also. What is the ratio you are running between your RAM:FSB, is it 1:1?

2. Your Gigabyte motherboard does not like your new card. When I plugged in a new external HDD, it caused my comp to go into a continual reboot sequence (similar to what you are describing), I later found out that it was a 'feature' of Gigabyte mobo's and they are well known in the community at least (not officially..) for this. I thought it was due to my overclock.

Keep asking until you get the problem sorted, there are some uber tech minds on here, you just have to catch 'em!
AC

1. My ram is running at 2.40 according to gigabyte... so with FSB 333 it runs at 800 mhz exact...my ram should be capapable of such speeds...

2. What should i do for option 2?

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME...I REALLy do appreciate
July 8, 2009 6:41:27 PM

ac3144 said:
I mean for my above post to read as someone who is interested in your problem, not in a grumpy way!
AC

lol
July 8, 2009 6:54:18 PM

Hi James,
I should have said that the problem I described in option 2, was of course via a usb slot, not a PCIe slot. To that end, it may have nothing to do with your problem but I have an inherent distrust of my Gigabyte mobo's after my problem and hearing that you are having a perpetual boot cycle sounded so familiar. Have you unplugged everything that is not needed from the mobo?
As to what you can do about it if it is that...I don't know sorry.

You didn't say what make your PSU is? I know from bitter experience that PSU probs can be elusive, it might be worth you trying another PSU if you can and seeing if it still happens.

Other than that, I don't think I can help you (I'm an amateur at best). You could post your prob in the motherboards and memory forum for the attention of a guy called Bilbat, he is a guru of mobo's and helped me with my problem.

Good luck and I feel your pain brother!
AC :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2009 7:13:21 PM

Plz just answer the questions. Remember your asking for our help so plz just give us the info

what is the make and model of your PSU?

What is the make, model, stock speed, timing, and voltage of your ram

what is your attempted ram overclock? Again include info on your speed, timing and voltage.
July 8, 2009 7:32:47 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
Plz just answer the questions. Remember your asking for our help so plz just give us the info

what is the make and model of your PSU?

What is the make, model, stock speed, timing, and voltage of your ram

what is your attempted ram overclock? Again include info on your speed, timing and voltage.

You are right....

PSU: Apevia Iceberg 680 Watt....i know you are going to says its bad...but its actually responds strong considering i only put about 450 watts at max load...
[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

RAM: Kingston 2 GB Desktop ValueRam 800 mhz 1.8V
[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...] <<<<<THAT BUT ONE SINGLE 2 GB STICK

RAM OVERCLOCK: Ram was at 800 mhz when the FSB was at 333....ratio was 2.40 (GIGABYTE WAY)....6-6-6-18...Voltage auto

PS...
Cooled Northbridge...no extra voltage
Thermal Control...EIST...all that stuff is turned off
USB Controller 2.0 : ENABLED
USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT: ENABLED
2 hard drives...sata...3 cd/dvd drives...5 fans...one cathode...one set of led...sagitta case
285 gtx ftw evga...hdmi
coolit domino
printer 7350 hp
external 500 GB hard drive...

what else...

thats all i can think of
hopefully that can help you figure what the problem is...
thanks you

July 9, 2009 4:35:53 AM

set your ram @ 1:1
July 9, 2009 12:18:16 PM

wouldn't work.........but thanks...this is so annoying
July 10, 2009 5:22:07 PM

OK, lets try one more thing:

==============

Those voltage values you wrote, are those what you input in BIOS or reported by CPU-Z?
July 10, 2009 8:11:45 PM

MaDMagik said:
OK, lets try one more thing:

==============

Those voltage values you wrote, are those what you input in BIOS or reported by CPU-Z?

i put those in...................
July 10, 2009 8:12:32 PM

bios inputted....not cpu-z
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2009 6:31:09 PM

It's really starting to look like the power supply. I don't think you'd want to try it. but I would remove the domino and use the intel stock (or better if you have one.) use 9x333 and up the ram voltage to 1.9v and leave speed and timings the same. We're really looking for it to just boot.
July 12, 2009 7:27:51 PM

I just stumbled over your thread regarding your psu being adequate to power that card. The general conclusion was that you will be taking a risk, so I guess its fairly safe to say that the gamble didnt pay off? The only thing i suggest now is increasing the core voltage until you can boot and do some serious stress testing to see if your pc can operate normally at all.
!