majorpain1588

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I am have never had SLI or Crossfire and am looking to get two 4870s for my new build. I have heard that microstutter is a potential problem. I know about the x2, but it is just a little bit outside my time window.

Does anyone know if two 4870s in crossfireX have any microstutter issues in current games?

Is microstutter really even a big deal at all?

What relevance does a 9800GX2 have to the question of microstutter in 4870s?

pauldh

Illustrious
Personally, for me it has not been a big issue with SLI 8800GT. I can't say I noticed it in crysis at all. Recently I started playing NFS:pro Street a little just to look for it and I will say I do notice the microstutter right off the bat. It is not pauses of a few seconds, but rather milliseconds that make the game not look/feel totally smooth. Again, it has not been an issue for me, but is something I will have my eye out for in each game I play.

pauldh

Illustrious

It's an issue that effects both solutions, so commenting on how serious an issue it is, is relevant. But what he describes isn't the microstutter issue as I understand and have seen it. IMO, if it were a big issue, we would have been talking about it to death a long, long time ago. But, regardless, it is an issue and hopefully getting the attention of NV and ATI.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

if u have sli or cf setup u would feel the fps drop suddenly then pick up it gets annoying. i have had both dual nvidia and ati cards which microstutter, effect both of them.
supposedly the new 4870x2 wont suffer from that because of the grrd5 memory.
(i didnt mean a few sec the fps drop quickly like a sec and go back up.)

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

wat would i gain if i made it up? believe it or not its up to u im just giving my opinion on it.