Sign in with
Your question

Microstutter Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2008 11:37:51 PM

I am have never had SLI or Crossfire and am looking to get two 4870s for my new build. I have heard that microstutter is a potential problem. I know about the x2, but it is just a little bit outside my time window.

Does anyone know if two 4870s in crossfireX have any microstutter issues in current games?

Is microstutter really even a big deal at all?

More about : microstutter question

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 2:08:18 AM

it will have microstutter in current games. well the fps random keeps dropping causing lag for a few sec. it annoys me with my 9800gx2.
July 22, 2008 2:12:08 AM

your making that up I think man !
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 2:16:24 AM

invisik said:
it will have microstutter in current games. well the fps random keeps dropping causing lag for a few sec. it annoys me with my 9800gx2.

What relevance does a 9800GX2 have to the question of microstutter in 4870s?
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 2:28:37 AM

Personally, for me it has not been a big issue with SLI 8800GT. I can't say I noticed it in crysis at all. Recently I started playing NFS:p ro Street a little just to look for it and I will say I do notice the microstutter right off the bat. It is not pauses of a few seconds, but rather milliseconds that make the game not look/feel totally smooth. Again, it has not been an issue for me, but is something I will have my eye out for in each game I play.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 2:32:46 AM

cjl said:

It's an issue that effects both solutions, so commenting on how serious an issue it is, is relevant. But what he describes isn't the microstutter issue as I understand and have seen it. IMO, if it were a big issue, we would have been talking about it to death a long, long time ago. But, regardless, it is an issue and hopefully getting the attention of NV and ATI.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 2:49:50 AM

cjl said:

if u have sli or cf setup u would feel the fps drop suddenly then pick up it gets annoying. i have had both dual nvidia and ati cards which microstutter, effect both of them.
supposedly the new 4870x2 wont suffer from that because of the grrd5 memory.
(i didnt mean a few sec the fps drop quickly like a sec and go back up.)
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 2:52:54 AM

royalcrown said:
your making that up I think man !

wat would i gain if i made it up? believe it or not its up to u im just giving my opinion on it.
!