Need help with BIOS...

lulz at my RAM

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Is this in the wrong section?

Well, anyhow, I was trying to install Ubuntu on my computer, but when I tried opening BIOS it asked me for my password.

I entered my current password, but it said it was incorrect.

I tried it numerous times to make sure there were no typos, but no avail.

Help please?

rockford

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

He means the small coin-cell battery (probably CR2032) that powers the CMOS and maintains the BIOS settings when the computer is powered off.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Yeah, Rockford is right... I should be a little more clear sometimes. The battery should be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in diameter. And the jumper is typically 3 pins with a thingy covering two of them. It should be to the right of the battery. What you do is simple... Take out the battery, and then move the jumper to the opposite position from where it is already at, then back to the original position, done.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
You need to discharge your kinetic energy, and touch a grounded surface to be completely safe. Don't do it on the carpet. Just be careful and take your time and nothing bad will happen.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Well something like that... Have you ever slid your feet on carpet, then touch a metal object? You get that little electrical discharge. Just touch some metal before touching your motherboard, than you can hold the side of the case(provided it's metal) and work with the other hand, then your good.

lulz at my RAM

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks.

Is there a guide someone on how a person would go about doing this?

You gave me a rough outline about resetting it, but some pictures would be nice.

Would I need to say what type of computer I have?

HP pavillion a610n

lulz at my RAM

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Can't find the battery...

WTFnobatteryhax.jpg

lulz at my RAM

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Yay, got it to work.

But now when I try to install Ubuntu like the directions say, it says "Disk boot error - Insert disk then press Enter".

I tried it a few times but it didn't work.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Glad you got your BIOS password thing fixed.

As for your Ubuntu install...wish I could help, but I don't know much about Ubuntu, other than it's a Linux based OS.

Good luck.