Sign in with
Your question

Start up problem

Last response: in Windows XP
November 9, 2010 5:17:44 PM

Hello everyone out there,

I have had a recent problem that is causing me a lot of stress, mostly due to the fact that I have tried almost everything that I thought would help to solve my problem and it keeps bringing me back to square one. My problem is simply this: I run Windows XP Professional 32 bit, and when I start up my computer everything runs smoothly, until I get to log in. I will type in my password and hear the chime that windows is starting up, but sadly enough all I see is "Loading personal settings" for a good minute, then it transitions to my desktop, and just sits there. At this point I know whats going to happen, given it has happened to me so many times. Now here is the thing I do not understand, I can open up task manager almost instantly, and there is no cpu usage. I can also run any task I want through run, so I ran msconfig, and disabled all of my startup programs (which includes rainmeter, and object dock thinking these were just having errors at the startup). I restarted my computer and the same thing happened, although this happens quite frequently, there are occasions where it does not happen at all, and sometimes it will recover after delaying me for about 3 minutes. After getting frustrated enough with this I decided to reformat my harddrive and start over completely. I was almost 100% sure this problem would not bother me anymore after I go through with the reformat. Unfortunately I am posting here because after I reformatted the computer and ran it for a couple weeks getting my games and programs back on it, it starts to do it again. I thought that maybe it would be a program I am using that may not agree with my computer, but this time I noticed that it happened randomly, and not after installing a particular program. Also I have done regular virus scans with Spybot SAD, Malwarebytes, and AVG. I am all out of ideas and I thought this would be a good place to post my problem, seeing as there are plenty of people out there smarter than me with computers who can shed light on my problem.

I have also tried to end "explorer.exe" and run it again. Nothing happened both times I tried it, before I reformatted and after when it happened again.

My system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz E7500 LGA775
Asus P5N-D Motherboard
Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB GDDR3
OCZ 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM
Thermaltake 550W PSU
WD caviar blue 160GB HDD
Sound is onboard

If you need any other information to help diagnose my problem let me know.

Thanks for all future posts that are of help :) 

More about : start problem

November 9, 2010 6:12:01 PM

whick XP service pack are you running?

Have you tested you memory?
What are the Temperatures you PC is running at?

m
l
November 9, 2010 7:14:38 PM

I have my CPU running around 36-40C and my graphics card is around 50C idle, and 65-70C while gaming

Im currently running service pack 3

and you talking about running Memtest or something along those lines?
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2010 7:23:11 PM

So let me make sure I got this right......When you boot into windows, all you get is the background? No icons or taskbar?
m
l
November 9, 2010 7:51:55 PM

Yes Memtest
m
l
November 9, 2010 7:59:58 PM

Sounds like some windows corruption.

Usually killing explorer.exe and restarting it will resolve the issue. If it doesn't, go to the following link, and click on the left column for #319.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
m
l
November 9, 2010 8:56:06 PM

aford10 said:
So let me make sure I got this right......When you boot into windows, all you get is the background? No icons or taskbar?

I do not use desktop icons but the taskbar does not load, pretty much anything in my startup wont load and my cursor every 7-10 seconds will have an hourglass next to it for a split second and disappear as if its trying to load up but fails. There is between 0-5% CPU usage when it happens so I dont think im getting overloaded.

I will run memtest tonight when I go to sleep on all of my memory and post the results when I wake up in the morning
m
l
November 9, 2010 8:56:50 PM

aford10 said:
Sounds like some windows corruption.

Usually killing explorer.exe and restarting it will resolve the issue. If it doesn't, go to the following link, and click on the left column for #319.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

I have tried killing Explorer.exe and re-running it and that does not work :??: 
m
l
November 9, 2010 10:20:00 PM

Open the task manager, and go to the process tab. Click on the CPU column twice to put the higher usage processes at the top. When the cursor turns to the hourglass, what process starts running?

Put in your XP disc in-->go to the task manager-->file-->new task-->type sfc /scannow and press enter. This will scan your system files for some corruption, and replace the damaged files.
m
l
November 11, 2010 6:18:36 AM

aford10 said:
Open the task manager, and go to the process tab. Click on the CPU column twice to put the higher usage processes at the top. When the cursor turns to the hourglass, what process starts running?

Put in your XP disc in-->go to the task manager-->file-->new task-->type sfc /scannow and press enter. This will scan your system files for some corruption, and replace the damaged files.

I ran the scan from the Windows Operating System Disc, so far no problems, but I have only tried to boot up once, so this is not a 100% fix I could still get the problem, as it seems to persist on random days.

I shall post in this thread again if I should come across the problem once more.
m
l
!