Heat output of Q9300 vs. E8500

G

I have a question regarding the heat output of a Q9300 and an E8500. I understand an E8500 runs cooler than a Q9300 (correct me if I am wrong) but I am more concerned with the heat blowing out from the back of the computer. I have a small bedroom and in the winter it would not be a problem but in the summer it is. Would the temperature difference between the two CPUs under normal usage cause a difference in room temperature or is it not enough to notice? Both CPUs are more than capable for my needs and the price is the same (I am ordering a new computer and I have a choice of either.) Sorry for the simple question but I am pretty much a newbie.

Thanks

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Heat blowing out from the back of a computer is noticable, but only if u have a big graphics card and you lay games, but it doesnt sound like ur gonna be doing that.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
If you're worried about your room heating up from your CPU during the summer, leave a window open. If you're really madly paranoid about it, get a phase change cooling system and keep that thing at a nice and cool -20 degrees C.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
From someone who once had a Pentium D and a woefully inefficient XION 450W PSU (the extreme PSU calculator had me at 550W) I can tell you that excess heat in the winter is a very good thing, but it is not noticeable at all in the summer (I was in a single-person dorm room). But that was mostly the PSU. With either of those two you shouldn't have a heat problem (my E8300 is at 4Ghz, air coming out is at about 75F).

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It depends on the air movement in the room (if any). If you keep your door closed and have no air conditioner, then it will be noticeable. If not then it shouldn't be a problem.

In case you are talking about your computer temperatures, at nominal frequencies (no overclocking), the motherboard temperatures will be significantly higher and your CPU's as well, but no so much, but you should not have any problems.

I just cringe at the power bill caused by one of those things......