MSI motherboard memory limitation?

rollebolle

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hello, im a proud (?) owner of a MSI P4M900M2-L motherboard. In the printed manual, it says max memory is 4GB, and it can only take up to 667 MHZ memory. However, on the online test report and specification, it says that 4 GB, and up to 800Mhz, works fine. What is right and why the differense?

Thanks in advance!

Most boards will run faster memory at the max speed, which for your board is 667. I use both pc5300 and pc 6400, and don't notice much difference. The real difference is using win 2k pro versus vista. My celeron 430 setup with win 2k pro is about equal to vista with an overclocked dual core e4300 in overall speed when using 2 gigs of memory in both systems. I don't notice any real difference when using 4 gigs on a 32 bit windows operating system. It only recognizes about 3.2 gigs. My cely setup uses 2 gigs of pc5300 Hewlett packard memory and 2 gigs of crucial pc5300 low latency memory. Both have micron chips. Be sure to use low latency name brand memory, such as samsung, crucial, corsair, or kingston.