New hard drive

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
is there a way to make an exact copy of my current hard drive on a new one so that everything stays the same on the bigger drive? i've been told that just doing xcopy *.* (of course with all necessary switches) won't copy some necessary files.
thanks

Zazoo.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Let's start from revising <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19458#19458" target="_new">this </A>, and <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=8852#8852" target="_new">that </A>, <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21024#21024" target="_new"> also </A>, and we'll be glad to go further answering next questions.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I read all of those, and people suggest Norton Ghost. I suggest Drive Image (I think 5.0 is the newest version). I have 4.0, and it works great. I have nothing against Norton...I just happen to have Drive Image.

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Didn't you get a utility disk with your new drive? If not, you can go to the manufacturer's web site and download it.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!</font color=green> :smile:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I alwyas use ghost, I've never tried drive image but have only heard good about it.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
I've used both of those. Drive image is the simplest to use, but lacks network imaging support. With Ghost, it's easy to do many machines at the same time, or automate loading a "staff image" onto a machine from the netowork with a batch file on a floppy.

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you are in the need to upgrade and use Norton Systemworks they have a Professional edition that has Ghost as part of the package and you will save $40 with the bundle purchase which will run $99.00 before any rebates. They just came out with Norton Systemworks 2002. Ghost by itself is $69.00

I have used Ghost for creating backup images and restoring them after those driver installs that have gone haywirer. The program has worked great for this and it does have the ablitity to clone drive to drive. You can also change partion sizes from within Ghost before restoring images. This program is a DOS program so you need it boot from a floppy disc with all drivers needed for other drives like Jaz etc. You can view and restore single files from within Windows from backup images but not the entire system.

The progrgam also has a program called GDisk which is a program for partitioning and formatting the hard drive. So you can go to Symantec's web site and read on this from the Ghost Bulletein board/newsletter. It is suppose to be better than Microsoft's Fdisk because of an bug in the program that I just read about from a Ghost newsletter and Gdisk.

I don't believe xcopy will get the job done correclty. You would be better off using some cloning software.

The one time I used a different cloning program it worked great going from a 3.1 gig to a 8.4 gig. Took like 10-15 mintues and it worked from the first reboot. Real slick but it only supported up to 8.4 gig's and then Norton purchased the company and moved people to the Ghost program.

Best of luck,
James