Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 64 bit seeing only 2.87 of 4gb memory

Last response: in Windows 7
December 9, 2009 5:54:01 AM

hi,

my windows 7 64 bit system is only seeing 2.87gb of the 4gb installed memory. checking the Resource Monitor, it says 1153gb has been allocated to Hardware Reserved. any idea how i can use all the memory? i have already tried unchecking Maximum memory under msconfig/boot/advanced options without success. below is my system properties. i have flashed my system with the latest bios.

OS NameEnter text here. Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SOLO-PC
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model IL9 Pro
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080012, 9/17/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name solo-PC\solo
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.83 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.87 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.66 GB
Page Space 2.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

More about : windows bit 4gb memory

December 9, 2009 6:20:14 AM

sorry, let me rephrase... only 2.87gb is useable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
December 9, 2009 6:31:19 AM

That's odd. If you had 32-bit Windows installed then I'd say the missing memory was accounted for by Video RAM, but under 64-bit you should see it all. (I get 4095MB total memory showing in Task Manager with only 1MB being reserved for hardware.) What video card do you have, as a matter of interest, and how much RAM does it have?

Stupid question, but you're sure you've installed 64-bit Windows?
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2009 6:38:05 AM

i have a geforce 8600 gts with 256mb of memory.
under system properties, system type = 64-bit operating system
also states it here under systeminfo:
System Type x64-based PC
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
December 9, 2009 7:30:12 AM

Very strange. I notice that you have unchecked "Maximum memory" in the boot options in MSConfig. What about "Number of Processors". I ask because, whilst looking for a solution to your problem I found a recommendation to check both these options; when I did so and rebooted, my system was reserving 760MB for hardware - unchecking both and it's back to just 1GB.

Just shows - never trust what you read on the Internet!
m
l
December 9, 2009 7:40:31 AM

vle87 said:

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080012, 9/17/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.3

2007?! Is there a BIOS update available for the motherboard? The RAM limitation may be because of the M/B or the BIOS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
December 9, 2009 7:45:53 AM

That does appear to be the newest BIOS for that m/b.
m
l
December 9, 2009 7:46:15 AM

yah, unfortunately thats the latest bios from the website.

m
l
December 9, 2009 7:48:17 AM

Ijack said:
Very strange. I notice that you have unchecked "Maximum memory" in the boot options in MSConfig. What about "Number of Processors". I ask because, whilst looking for a solution to your problem I found a recommendation to check both these options; when I did so and rebooted, my system was reserving 760MB for hardware - unchecking both and it's back to just 1GB.

Just shows - never trust what you read on the Internet!

yah ive tried unchecking the # of proc, as well as setting it to 1 and 2. no dice. ill try to run mem test to see if one of the dimms have gone bad. the bios sees 4gb as well as windows, just not sure why its allocated to reserved hardware.
m
l
December 9, 2009 8:17:22 AM

The m/b may not physically be able to address more than 4GB. The BIOS can see that there is 4GB of RAM, but it can't use all of it because some of that address space is needed for the rest of the hardware.

Um... do you have an option for "Plug'n'Play-aware O/S' in your BIOS, and is it set to "Yes"?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
December 9, 2009 8:18:01 AM

Oops - 1GB should have read 1MB in my last post but one! I see 4095MB total memory with 4GB installed, just the 1 allocated to hardware.

I'm afraid that's the limit of my suggestions. I'd have to doubt it's a BIOS problem as mine is also pretty old. In trawling the Internet I've noticed that this is not an uncommon problem, so hopefully someone can come up with a better suggestion. Good luck.
m
l
December 9, 2009 9:20:44 AM

Might be a real hardware limitation. My Asus P5LD2-SE with a 945P chipset is limited to 3.3GB of ram, the rest is indicated as Hardware Reserved. (Wish I researched before upgrading the ram :(  )
m
l
December 9, 2009 10:41:05 AM

There seems to be some confusion here....

x64 should see all the memory installed in the system, in your case 4GB as shown in the output, however regardless of 32 or 64 bit, the system will still allocate memory for system resources.

I too have 64bit with a total of 4GB, but once the system is up and running, my cpu monitor displays the following:

Used: 1515MB
Free: 2580MB
Total: 4095MB

32bit had a limitation where only 3.25GB was identified regardless of the total amount of RAM over 3.25GB, thus with 4.0GB installed, only 3.25GB would be seen and this could be comfirmed by checking the 'My Computer Properties' whereas 64bit registers all the total memory installed up to 128GB.

:sol: 

Hope this helps...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
December 9, 2009 12:13:11 PM

I think you are misreading the OP. He says that "1153gb has been allocated to Hardware Reserved". That is not normal. He also says that "Total" shows as 2.87GB - again, not normal with 4GB installed.
m
l
December 9, 2009 1:51:06 PM

Ijack said:
I think you are misreading the OP. He says that "1153gb has been allocated to Hardware Reserved". That is not normal. He also says that "Total" shows as 2.87GB - again, not normal with 4GB installed.

You are correct and please accept my apologies.

Is it then possible that his video card may be an embedded video card and is eating up the RAM?
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:06:02 PM

video card isnt an onboard/embedded so that isnt the issue. im using a 256mb geforce 8600gts pci-e card.
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:09:37 PM

amnotanoobie said:
Might be a real hardware limitation. My Asus P5LD2-SE with a 945P chipset is limited to 3.3GB of ram, the rest is indicated as Hardware Reserved. (Wish I researched before upgrading the ram :(  )

seems like the problem might be with the 945p chipset (thats what i have). trolling the internet, it appears the majority of ppl with this problem use a motherboard with this chipset.
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:10:13 PM

Sorry, I'm flipping back and force between remote connections...

You can also try the following:

To see if a piece of hardware is reserving a large chunk of physical address space, launch "devmgmt.msc", select Resources by Connection in the View Menu, and expand the Memory node.

You may wish to peruse through the linkas this may or may not help....

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/6720-instal...
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:40:23 PM

Andy2008 said:
The m/b may not physically be able to address more than 4GB. The BIOS can see that there is 4GB of RAM, but it can't use all of it because some of that address space is needed for the rest of the hardware.

Um... do you have an option for "Plug'n'Play-aware O/S' in your BIOS, and is it set to "Yes"?

the manual as well as reviews of the motherboard states that it can handle up to 4gb of memory.

my bios doesnt have the plug'n'play-aware o/s option.
it also doesnt have the remap memory option either, which appears to be the current fix.

:( 
m
l

Best solution

December 9, 2009 2:46:06 PM

vle87 said:
seems like the problem might be with the 945p chipset (thats what i have). trolling the internet, it appears the majority of ppl with this problem use a motherboard with this chipset.

Yes, you have an issue with your chipset. This is limiting you to a total address space of 4GB (same limitation as if you were running a 32bit edition). So you can never get 4GB usable.
December 9, 2009 4:21:00 PM

mikrev007 said:
Yes, you have an issue with your chipset. This is limiting you to a total address space of 4GB (same limitation as if you were running a 32bit edition). So you can never get 4GB usable.

ahhh thanks. this appears to be the case!

Quote - Wikipedia
Lakeport chipsets lacks support for remapping memory; the size of addressable memory space may be less than 4GB, regardless whether the processor operates in 64-bit mode.
m
l
June 24, 2012 10:21:41 PM

I have/still struggling with this problem.
I have Win 7-64 and memory usage is about half of installed.
But..I installed Win 8-64 and the problem is cured.
Installed/Usable: 4-4.
BTW-BIOS (EFI) recognizes 4 GB RAM in Win7-64 and Win 8-64.
Back to Win 7-64...problem returns.

Just maybe this is a plan by MS to encourage people to go to Win 8-64
m
l
!