Sign in with
Your question

Power Problem...i think

Last response: in Components
August 25, 2008 6:00:59 AM

So i just finished building my computer, well "just-ish" and it was all fine and dandy, then i installed a 4850, and still fine and dandy for a bit. Then today my system started to reboot like mad without putting a load on it. I don't think its a heat problem cause although i got no case fans mobo and CPU never get hotter then 60 C and the 4850 has the fan fix and will idle at 50 C. when the system does reboot there are no errors, nothing.

System:
Some cooler master case, i don't know the model i forgot
E8400 @ 3 ghz
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
4 gigs DDR2-800
ATI 4850
Enermax FMAII 535 watts

Windows XP service pack 2

Any help would be appreciated thx!

More about : power problem

August 25, 2008 6:54:34 AM

would you tell us when exactly it does reboot(at what point)
can you're system reach desktop, or in safe mode
you said it was fine then i assume you installed an operating system and you install the driver
if you remember what the last you did ,it would be very helpfull
August 25, 2008 7:26:34 AM

Yea i can boot into windows no problem, use all apps do everything and anything i want, then just when i am suffering the net or listening to music it reboots its completely random it seems like. Some times it will reboot when it starts right away, other times it will be on for like an hour plus then it reboots.
Related resources
August 25, 2008 7:40:47 AM

if i where you i do this
1-check my ram with memtest
google memtest download it and make bootable media cd,floopy,and check you ram for error's

2-its sometimes happen with me when i have a bad sector on my Hard disks
do a check disk, and see in the end if it reports a bad sectors

3-i would try to reinstall my VGA driver but not sure if this would be the case with you since you are doesn't make any load on you're VGA but try it any way

go to the even viewer in administrator tool in control panel and with the(event id) which occur on the bsod time search the web about it, hope you will find something
August 25, 2008 7:45:21 AM

Ma77h3w said:
... cause although i got no case fans mobo and CPU never get hotter then 60 C and the 4850 has the fan fix and will idle at 50 C. when the system does reboot there are no errors, nothing.

You can check for thermal issues by taking the side panel off and directing a 9"/12" house inside. That might be actually quite a good thing to check first. What about the GPU and MB power regulation MosFETs that will be cooking in that case? Or the MB chipset temperature? What about cool air intake for components? Where is the CPU heated air exhausted to??!!

This is a bit of a stupid thread to start... Modern components performance components need adequate cooling for stability. period. Stop wasting peoples time.

Bob
August 25, 2008 7:59:06 AM

Well i think i found the problem, bad power bar switched it up and its running fine. And Bob yes i know i have awful case circulation the thing was it has been running fine for over a week plus and never shuts down under load; it always restarted at the oddest times like sitting there in idle. But thx for the help! if it does still give me problems i gonna run the tests thx again!
!