I7 OC Memory Confusion

shyheim

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hey all,

Just got an i7 920 system all set up, and was about to overclock. Have read nearly every guide I could find, and while my understanding is better, its still far from good :p. I understand I want to get my system to 3.5GHz with the voltage set as low as possible and still be stable. Thought I was good to start testing when I ran into a brick wall.

Very confused about my memory! I have 6gb DDR3-1600 RAM, and it says on its package to run it at 1.6 - 1.65V. When I look at my mobo, it says not to run its voltage any higher than 1.65V or the CPU can be fried. I'm going for a 3.5GHz OC, so BLCK = 167 with my multiplier locked at 21.

So far, my step by step thinking led me to do this:
I was going to drop my memory frequency, set my multi to 21x, adjust the QPI link speed to x36, and the memory ratio to 6x. Set uncore to 2x+1 the memory. This would make the memory and uncore to be lower than stock, so it would make sure it wont be messing up the system. Then I'll up my Blck to 167 (3.5GHz) and then stress test for 24 hours. If this doesn't work out, I'll creep up the voltage slightly until it does. If this all works out nice, I'll go back and start to increase my RAM speed.

Thats where I'm lost. My RAM wants to be at 1.6 - 1.65V, but should I lower it? I want it to run at its 1600 speed, or even higher, but of course I don't want to ruin this newly bought system. Suggestions?