How to use a radiator in a fish tank.

mackindale

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I'm making a mineral oil cooled PC, and to keep the oil cool I'll need a radiator. What brands or products should I use to keep a tank of oil cool?

mackindale

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Well, obviously I read that, but how would I actually install it? I've never used a radiator and hooking it up to a tank seems difficult.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
doesn't mean that you cant get another radiator.

as for hooking it up. just glue one side of the hose near the top of the tank, and the other end to the bottom, opposite sides for best results.

warm (oil, water air, ect) rises, while cold drops.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Don't oil cool. It's way silly. It's a oddity hobby thing.

Your stuff.

See what happens when peeps post silly ideas? Others read it and think it's the bomb untill they read the whole thread and get smart and read at more sites and finally go OMG, what was I thinking?

It's been done, but not the best way for best temps. Think of the mess etc.

You noobs crack me up, glad I read a LOT and knew what was silly and what wasn't. Common sense.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
well, its accually a fair idea if you get a couple of TEC's over 200watt. put them in water loops, and get them to cool the oil down through radiator/s within the oil and fans pushing the oil through the radiator.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Sure. read up what a TEC needs to run. Read up on making a custom $$$ block to make it work. It's been discussed, tried, done by advanced world class overclockers.

Gaahhh!

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
and your point. im willing to do so, if i had the cash...... you have to remember that the oil pc is more of a fancy do conversation starter than anything else

Oil cooling.....I gotta go with one of the stupidest things I ever seen.
Sure, it's a conversation starter alright. I can hear my wife now..."you stupid dumbass ********* how in the hell did you get oil all over the carpet?"
Or "why does it smell like greasy fast food restaurant in here"
Or how about "sorry dear, we are out of astroglide, I'll just dip my pecker in this tub of crisco here......."

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Why is it that people that have never done any watercooling are the ones who believe that their off-the-wall idea is the greatest hidden gem of design never before realized. They then will go on and on about how we all know nothing about it, and will bag our criticism over and over, even though they have yet to complete the project and continue to ask for advice...only to return with more criticism.

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and have others question your stupidity, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Really, to the OP don't think to badly of us.
Oil cooling really can turn into mess though.
It is just not worth it. I have never done it myself, but I DO know someone who did.
(Because he thought it would be so cool........)
It lasted about 6 weeks before he finally tore it all down, dumped the entire thing into the trash. What a waste, and what a mess.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

best description of oil cooling yet

Seriously though it's been done and the results were not that good. It's only true application is to be able to say "look what I did".

@daft
thats been looping this forum for a while if you or anyone else thinks they can make it work do it, test it, and show the results. Regards of the results it will be a very popular thread.

G

Got to admit my first though here was "won't that cook the fish?".

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Usually people take on projects such as PC in a Fish Tank have some working knowlege of plumbing, fittings, pumps, radiators.

Maybe this is not the right project for you....no insult meant.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My personal HTPC is going to be an OIL submersion system. All parts at home, working. Im waiting my oil ( 2x5gal ) from a local shop ( farm food shop have mineral oil ).

Ill use a COOLIT pure LC to cool the oil. Il took it all in pieces, the pump is going to be into the oil on the left side of te aquarium, pumping the oil into the 120mm radiator(with 120mm fan), and finally go back into the oil on the righ of the aquarium.

Ill have everything submerged ( not the DVD and HDD ) and ive doen some testing on an old PSU that ran for 1 month into BABY OIL ! ( its basically 100% mineral oil with parfum... ) so i know that mineral oil REALLY work ...

Im not afraid of this project since ive read ALOT and this is not going to be a GAMING pc since i already have my Gaming rig. Its going to be a nice looking HTPC to play some DVD/internet/light game/and some other apps.

If your goal is to build a gaming rig ... be ready and have more than only a 120mm radiator cause heat can become an issue.

GOOGLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND !

have fun !

mackindale

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The PC that's going in the oil is rather old. 8 MB RAM and 75MHz CPU. It's no big loss if it fails and it's unlikely to heat up

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Oil it up and lube me down!! LOL Sounds like a mean Idea! try it out. post your results.. I would probably do it! Thats is, if I didnt have better things to do.