Sign in with
Your question

HDD Failure? Western Digiatal Caviar Blue WD800JD

Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2009 1:54:53 PM

Been having major issues with my PC for a few weeks, here are the symptoms...
-Black screen after XP loading screen
-Constant restarts after XP lading screen
-XP install freezes (after formatting) using XP install CD
-Windows Set-up freezes during fromatting using XP install CD
-When windows reboots after formatting (if I'm lucky enough to get this far), I get an "NTLDR is missing" error

I'm a novice builder on a budget and just need the reassurance that this re-used HDD is junk before I buy another.

HDD specs...
-Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB WD800JD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Any thoughts on what to replace with if the consensus is that replacement is needed? Cheap but relaible replacement options :) 
a c 127 G Storage
November 7, 2009 2:16:05 PM

First download Ubuntu livecd, in the menu choose Memory Test which will run MemTest86 and let it run for several hours until it says your memory is passed.

If your memory is good, try to look at the SMART data. You can do this with Ubuntu if that's too difficult try with HDTune in another (windows) computer. Post the screenshot here.

80GB disks are rather old, if you don't need the data on the drive maybe its better to just buy a new drive?
m
l
November 7, 2009 4:46:40 PM

Ran MemTest86+ all night a few days ago with no errors. Will try to look at the SMART data, but not sure what that is or how to do it. If the memory is good, is it fair to asume that its the HDD that is causing the problems? I am willing to install a new HDD with more space anyhow. Can u recommend a cheap replacement?
m
l
November 7, 2009 4:51:44 PM

BTW, I can't even get XP to load so if I download HD Tune with my other PC and put it on a disk, can I run it even though I get the "Error Loading OS" error?
m
l
!