help!! computer won't startup after processor is intalled

adrianklc

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I build my computer a year ago having the idea of upgrading it later. intel core 2 duo E6600, Asus P5B mobo.
I recently got the QX685o. Intalled it, and updated the bios. when I start my computer, the regular bios stuff shows up and then it says new processor detected: F1 to setup new setting. F2 use default setting. I press F2 so windows booted up everything was fine. When I restart computer, windows never start up again. a quick flash of the blue screen and the comp restarted. I press F8 to choose to start windows in differnet modes, but no luck.. nothing works.

Finally I decided to put my old processor back in. Now its even worst. the bios don't even show. the comp is running, but nothing is showing. I borrowed my friends Q6600 processor and still nothing shows up on screen. When I put the QX6850 in again, the same thing happens again. It started up once then I can not get back into windows again.

I have two problems here.
1) Why can't I get back into windows using the QX6850 after the first time?
2) How come my comp doens't start up with bios and stuff after I got Qx6850 working?

specs:
Asus P5B
OCZ 600w power supply
OCZ 2X1gb ram

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Try pulling your CMOS battery, leave it out for about 5 minutes, put it back in then boot. Have you OC'ed your old Proc? this could help, as it resets your settings to default.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006

After doing a seroius upgrade mainly upgrading CPU and Motherboard, 99% of the occasions u have to format and reinstall windows

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

I'm guessing you have bent pin(s) on the socket array.

Uninstall the CPU and check socket pin array first. If you do have bent pin(s) you do have a slight chance of ruining the CPU in trying to get it to boot.

adrianklc

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I tried... took out the battery, waited, then put it back in.
i doublt its the processor thats bad cause its both my E6600 (my old processor) and my friend's Q6600 (which is working perfectly fine before and after I used it to test my computer) thats not being able to start up the computer. Only my Qx6850 can start up the CMOS but it restarts right after a flahs of blue screen.