killt_uk2000

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hi i have partisiond my 250 gig hard drive into 4.
they all defrag fine. BUT my C drive keeps saying i should defrag.
so i defrag it. and it will still say i should defrag.
it all runs fine but i hate loos ends and little anoying problems.
its xp all upto date. and i have 52% left on c. so its not full and i cant find any errors on it.
can any one help. thatnx karl

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
What are you useing for a defrag program? I have been useing Diskeeper for years, and its the best of the best, download a free 45 day trial and give it a try , it might fix your problem

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
When it finnishes the Defrag view the report, it'll tell you which files are still fragmented; it may be files which can't be defrag'd.

killt_uk2000

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
thanx for the replys. i dont use any program to defrag. just the defrag on xp. i did look at the report. it dose say some files can not be defragd.
and it dose look prety clean. only a few red lines. i just wonderd if its coz i partitond my drive into 4. what also puzles me. is i had programs on C and i could defrag it all with out it saying still should defrag. then uninstalld them and put them on a difrnt partition so thers less on C. and now i get the problem.

DiskeeperRep

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

Hi,
If you have sufficient free space and are yet unable to defrag completely, it may be due to fragmented system files (Master File Table, page file) or open files that the defragmenter cannot process. This can be confirmed by viewing the list of most fragmented files in the analysis report. Does it have $MFT listed?

For completely defragmenting the MFT, a boot-time defragmentation with a third party defragmenter may be required. The page file can be defragmented similarly. Another option is to temporarily move the page file to another partition, defrag C: completely and then finally reinstate the page file.

You can always download the free trial version of Diskeeper 2008 from our website if you wish to defragment the C: drive fully. The trial version is functional for 30 days.

Best regards
---------------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation
---------------------------------

killt_uk2000

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hi thanx for the help. but i fixt the defraging proble bye reformating my comp again lol. that sorted it. that must be about the 30th time i reformated...