Sign in with
Your question

Asus Turbo-V question (i7 overclock - RAM freq problem)

Last response: in Overclocking
July 8, 2009 10:04:19 AM

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm VERY new to OCing. In fact, it's been a while since I've been into PCs (just recently got back into it).

Here are my relevent sys specs:

Asus P6T Deluxe
i7 920 (C0/C1)
Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
850w PSU
**Stock CPU cooler (with Noctua in mail)

I understand it's probably best to use the BIOS to OC but I just wanted to fiddle with OCing whilst monitoring CPU temp in Windows using Asus Turbo-V.

So I loaded Asus Turbo-V and set the following:

BCLK freq to 166
CPU voltage to 1.25
DRAM Bus voltage to 1.50
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.25

My PC instantly froze. I rebooted imediately and loaded the BIOS. I entered the AI Tweaker Menu and set the BCLK freq to 166 and noticed my RAM freq jumped to over 1900MHz. Would this be the reason the system froze? I asume so. Obviously, I can then just change the RAM freq back down to below 1600MHz and all is good.

So my question is - how can I control the RAM freq to stay below 1600MHz when using Turbo-V to OC??? Or do you suspect the system froze due to something other than the RAM freq?

Cheers!

Doak :-)

**I'm aware the CPU will overheat under load at higher clock speeds - I don't want to run Prime or anything whilst fiddling with these OCs until I have the Noctua installed. That said, I fully understand if people jump in here and advise me not to continue with OCing/ fiddling until I've installed the new heatsink.
July 8, 2009 1:37:55 PM

lower the memory multiplier to 10x (DDR3-1666)
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2009 4:54:21 PM

By default X58 motherboards usually set your memory multi to 8, 133 x 8 = 1066mhz.

You should just keep the memory multi at 8, so memory does not cause any problems while you are working on your CPU. Using 10 multi is ok if you're stopping at 166 bclk, but if you decide to OC further, then you'll just have to turn it down again.
July 9, 2009 12:13:34 AM

OK thanks to you both :-)

I have found a link (from Toms) to a youtube video which details some of this technical talk for me regarding i7 OCing. I find it much easier to have it verbalised to me than to read it all on-screen so it really helped.

Jero.
!