DVD drive suddenly not recognized in Win7

ruesterprod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
I had this problem with an older DVD RW Drive and I replaced it thinking it was the drive, BUT now it's happening with a drive I just bought back in August - it's been working fine up until now...

I have Win 7. I was burning a DVD, and right after it finished, the drive stopped working. So I Clicked over to look at the computer in Explorer, and the drive was no longer there (nor was it listed in the Device Manager)...

I rebooted the computer and saw it was recognized in my BIOS, but when the computer started up, Win 7 didn't see it there.

I shut the computer down, checked the connecting cables, turned it on and it still wasn't there. Just out of frustration I rebooted one more time and it showed up again...

Can anyone tell me what the heck is happening?

Thanks all,

Aza :fou:

ruesterprod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008

I'm not sure - though if it were a PSU, would other hardware be affected? So far it's only been the DVD drive. I work on a Win 7 PC desktop. It has only happened once, so far, of course the time when I needed it the most, it may have happened more than that, I don't use the drive a heck of a lot.