Sign in with
Your question

"arrange icons by" by right clicking desktop...

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
November 10, 2010 5:40:55 AM

Hello,

How is this annoyance removed from that shell menu? I would like it so persons cannot rearrange desktop icons on my desktop, many icons, only so much desktop, without custom arrangement it's a pain... Isn't there some way to modify a registry key or a group policy setting?
November 10, 2010 5:46:24 PM

Are you using a shared PC? Each desktop is unique, what you arrange does not show up for another user.

If you are sharing the PC why would your icon arrangement be better than theirs? What if they can't find stuff once you move it around? If it's your own PC and you don't want others using it, just set a user password on it.
m
l
November 15, 2010 12:57:41 PM

no,

shared pc,

assume there's "people" who don't do what you want them to,

okay?

it is my computer, i share it with others, will continue to, and i'll also find how to do what poledit used to...

so, question, is there something like poledit in windows xp pro? i wanna take arrange icons by off the right click from the desktop shell menu, plz
m
l
November 15, 2010 6:09:57 PM

To lock your desktop icons into place, first arrange it carefully the way you want it to be, then open up the registry editor.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD, Value name: NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key.

Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box. After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state.

Now you'll be happy and everyone else will be mad.
m
l
!