AMD 955 3.8ghz-4.0ghz Stable 24/7 Overclock

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hey guys I plan on overlocking my 955 to about 3.8-4.0ghz. Here are my specs and I want the overlock to be stable 24/7. what combination increase of voltage,multiplier etc. does you recommend

PII AMD X4 955
Gygabyte GA-MA790XT UD4P
OXC Pllatinum 2x2gb 1.7-1.9voltage 7-7-7-20
XFX XXX 4870 1gb
Xigmatek Dark Knight

edit: and what program should I ust for benchmarking and to check my CPU's stability

one more thing when I overlock should just change everything using AMD overdrive or do it using AMD overdrive and than do the same thing in my BIOS

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
yea might just do increase multi from 16 to 19 and voltage from 1.3 to 1.55 that will give me 3.8ghz. and do all of that in overdrive

The nice thing about overdrive is that it has pre-sets when you are ready to overclock and it tells you what is the best setting for your cpu as far as overclocking is concerned. Yea you can do all of this in the bios if you are a super (bios) geek but for the noobs and peeps in general that want to learn about all the different settings, overdrive is a must and VERY helpfull, specially if you are building a spider platform

Spider platform consists of an AMD cpu (AM2+AM3 prefered), a motherboard with an AMD chipset (SB710-750) and an Ati Radeon GPU. Once all 3 are put in place you open up Overdrive and all hell breaks loose.... Basically made to push all your hardware to the limits and get an insane overclock. At least for me this is what it does....

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
oki i havent put my computer together yet, Im doing it this saturday so Ill download the them then.

so...
Overdrive is for overlocking
Speed fan is well... to control fan speed
prime95 is like you said temps cpu activity and stability
and one more thing what program should i use to benchmark?

edit: and whats TurboV used for?

Speedfan is a program were you can see the activity of all your components, read temps etc...

Prime95 is to check stability only.....

For benchmarking get 3dmarko6 and pcmark-vantage....

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
ok..so

Overdrive=overclock
Speed Fan (or TurboV?)= temps, actibity
prime95=Stability
Benchmark= 3Dmark06 and PCmark-vantage

is there a software that can contron your fan's speed?

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

no quite, spider platform is amd cpu (am2-am2+) e.g. first generation phenom, amd 7xx based motherboard and a 3xxx based gpu.
dragon platform is amd cpu (am2+-am3) e.g. phenom II and is relatives (X2,X3,X4) , amd 7xx based motherboard and a 4xxx based gpu.

Thank you for correcting me, I meant DRAGON platform.... Heh, trying to help 4 peeps at the same time is not easy!!! I knew something didnt seem right...

Daggs you are 100% correct, thx for the feedback!!!

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
So I got a Dragon platform right?

and did I get everything right here?
Overdrive=overclock
Speed Fan (or TurboV?)= temps, actibity
prime95=Stability
Benchmark= 3Dmark06 and PCmark-vantage

umm and is there a software that can contron your fan's speed?

Yes indeed, once you install your video card the software that comes with it, if I am not mistaken (Catalyst) should have a tab where you can adjust the fan speed from 0-100%. But I dont recommend using the CD that comes with your card. Just go to http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/index.html and download the latest drivers. Once installed open the Catalyst Control Center and you will have tons of settings to play with.....

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
ok so I got two questions

1) About the drives should I use the CD's or is there some option to do it like for example 'My computer-properties-download latest drives' do I sont have to look for them online.

2) Is TurboV kinda like Speed Fan and does TurboV come with your mobo or video card or do you have to download it?

3) Is Catalyst only for my video card fan or is it for all of my fans (i got a antec300 with 2 120mm in front 1 in back 1 on top and 1 on side)

Always download drivers (lastest) from the website. Most of the time the CD drivers are old and can cause problems.

As far as TurboV, I dont recall ever using it.

Catalyst is only for your video card.

If you want to control the fans in your case using a program, the fans have to be connected to a fan header on the motherboard.

If you run out of fan headers i recommend a fan controller.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Yea I think TurboV is a software that comes with an ASUS ??? mobo.

I dont think ill bother with the headers 2 of my fans have a fan control switch anyway

Catalyst isnt really necessery for overlocking my cpu right? since it only controls the gpu fan.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Im getting XFX XXX 4870 1gb, its alredy overclocked i dont plan on overlocking it any further, I also dont plan on getting another monitor, but Ill prorobly get it anywa to control the fan speed and resolution.