Maximus II Formula sound card

CoolGamer48

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I recently finished by first self-built machine. To my astonishment it not only failed to smoke and burn, it was even able to load Vista. Anyway, I do have a problem with sound. I can't hear any. Speakers I'm plugging into the sound card (which isn't built into the Maximus II Formula, but is shipped with it and must be installed in a PCIex1 slot) won't play any sounds.

I have a feeling I know what the problem might be, but I wanted someone to confirm (or preferably deny it and tell me there's an easier solution). There are 3 PCIex1 slots on the mobo, but one of them is designated as the sound card slot. When installing the sound card, I had trouble getting into the designated slot, and so I just picked one of the other two PCIex1 slots and put it into. I got it into that one (still not easily though), and left it there. I'm thinking that perhaps the sound card must be in the PCIex1 slot the mobo manual told me to put it in (imagine that...).

So anyway, is that the case? Is there someway to get the card to work in the current slot it's in? Or no? Or is this a complete non-issue, and something else is the problem?

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Here ya go mate:

The black PCI-E connector (the small PCI-e 1.0 one) is the slot for your sound card. I had trouble getting it in there too (I too own a Maximus II Formula in my other desktop), but after some fiddling - it'll fit. Don't be too scared to get rough (just don't over do it lol)

Once you have it in the right slot, you have to enter your BIOS and find the option to enable the HD Audio - then that's it. You will be fine after that. Just make sure you install the HD Drivers from your driver CD.

CoolGamer48

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
So there's something special about that slot that makes it the sound card slot? I thought that was it, but I wanted to make sure. While I was building it I figured it was just another PCIex1 slot.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I suppose that effectively it is just another PCI-E 1.0 slot, but the motherboard will only activate the SUPREME FX card in that particular slot - it is directly related to the option to enable HD Audio in BIOS. Don't know why that is?

Have fun!

diegovillegasperez

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
When I connected the speakers directly to the card all I got was tons of interference. The solution was to hook up the card to the front panel and the sound is now perfect. Of course now i have the speakers cable right in front of me... Setting HD Audio in the BIOS and installing all drivers didn't help at all.