Sign in with
Your question

K9A2 Platinum phenom II Overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 8, 2009 6:03:43 PM

I have a msi K9A2 Platinum and a phenom II 955

I am new to overclocking and this is my first build

Can someone please tell me what settings for the bios I need to use to get the cpu running at 3.7GHz or higher :o 

PS:I am using an AMI bios at version 1.8 :hello: 
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2009 5:05:27 AM

Do you really need to overclock? Your CPU is running at 3.2Ghz. But if you must, make sure you have a good cooler. (Not a stock cooler)
There should be a clock multiplier option in your bios or something like that. Mine is called "CPU Clock Ratio"
It is normally set on "Auto" when you build a new PC. See what yours is set to. Mine is set to x15.5 by default.

(When you start to change it, it will say the speed for the corresponding setting. When you get to a setting that shows your default or stock speed, start raising it from there.)

Tip: When Overclocking never jump to high speeds, raise slowly by 100Mhz every time. Test it to see if it's stable at every setting. When you get to a setting you like, run Prime95 for a few hours to make sure your overclock is stable. Also make sure your temperatures are not too high.
July 12, 2009 11:12:12 AM

does changing the multiplier also put the voltage up
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2009 5:51:17 PM

It can if your Vcore is set to Auto. So if you up your multiplier monitor voltage and temps. Or you can set it manually.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2009 7:36:15 AM

Most likely though, It won't raise the voltage...But unclefester is right, monitor your voltages and temps...
good luck ;) 
August 18, 2009 2:23:43 AM

DUDE! how were u able to flash the BIOS with the K9A2 Platinum?

Im really scared because ppl say that flashing an MSI board is different from the common flash.

btw i cant seem to use their live update so i have to do it manually..

would really appreciate your reply!

thanks in advance!

i would buy a Phenom 2 955 BE or a 965 in a months time.
August 18, 2009 10:04:25 PM

tubers said:
DUDE! how were u able to flash the BIOS with the K9A2 Platinum?

Im really scared because ppl say that flashing an MSI board is different from the common flash.

btw i cant seem to use their live update so i have to do it manually..

would really appreciate your reply!

thanks in advance!

i would buy a Phenom 2 955 BE or a 965 in a months time.

I know it seems scary but it is a resonibly quick and painless process

to do it you first put a compatible processor with you present bios

now you have done that go online and download hp usb format tool and all the data on a win 98 disk

once you have done this go online and findout how to turn a usb mem stick into a win 98 boot disk

after you have done that downoload the bios from msi's website

now put the uncompressed files on the usb's root

now boot from the usb and type in AFUD4281.exe A7376AMS.180 or AFUD4281.exe and wait

PS: Please make sure your system is stable first and all overclocking settings are disabled and make sure the file names you type in are the same as you have not what i have wrote
August 19, 2009 5:51:41 AM

ross_mitchell said:
I know it seems scary but it is a resonibly quick and painless process

to do it you first put a compatible processor with you present bios

now you have done that go online and download hp usb format tool and all the data on a win 98 disk

once you have done this go online and findout how to turn a usb mem stick into a win 98 boot disk

after you have done that downoload the bios from msi's website

now put the uncompressed files on the usb's root

now boot from the usb and type in AFUD4281.exe A7376AMS.180 or AFUD4281.exe and wait

PS: Please make sure your system is stable first and all overclocking settings are disabled and make sure the file names you type in are the same as you have not what i have wrote

okay thanks a lot for the reply..

i will keep ur tutorial in mind..

hp usb formatting tool..

windows 98 in the usb and make it bootable..

execute the BIOS "files"

ever tried the MSI HQ USB flash utility tool?

thanks again

** Before everything else, id first have to save a $ 180 just in case all else fails lol..

does MSI do repair (of course not for free) outside the mobos warranty duration?

August 19, 2009 2:35:59 PM

They might if you make a fus about it and mention things like the consumer goods act

PS: the goods act allows all cosumers to return their product in a period of 6 years of purchace and i have heard of the msi hq USB flash utility tool but a person on their website told me to do it this way.
!