Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two HDD's in RAID 0. One HDD in IDE mode.

Last response: in Storage
November 8, 2009 2:05:44 AM

I am contemplating a RAID 0 array for my PC, but there is one aspect that I would like to clarify before I do. I know it is possible to create a RAID 0 with multiple partitions within it. Hypothetically, one could create a partition for the OS and one for media. What I would like to know, though, is if it is possible to have a RAID 0 setup, consisting of two 250gb sata hard drives, and have another 500gb hard drive that isn't part of the RAID 0 array. I was planning on have the RAID 0 array for my OS (which I primarily use for gaming), and use the independent 500gb sata hard drive to store my media on. Is this possible?

I apologize for any mistakes I have made when posting this thread. As you can tell, I am a newcomer and I am not entirely aware of the etiquette used within this forum.'

Thanks in Advance

More about : hdd raid hdd ide mode

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
November 8, 2009 5:54:10 AM

As you didn't tell we don't know what RAID engine you use, so we have to guess its onboard RAID.

One thing that should work: create a RAID array from the single disk; so you have two RAID arrays:
1) RAID0 with 2 disks
2) JBOD/RAID0 with just 1 disk

Its no different from a plain disk, except you need to use the RAID drivers for the plain disk as well. But this should work in most cases. Some RAID engines allow to skip the creation of an array and will use them as separate plain disks; though some RAID engines require you to create a RAID array at all times.

Its also possible your motherboard allows you to set the RAID mode per port in the system BIOS; some allow ports 5 and 6 to be non-RAID while ports 1-4 are in RAID mode. So it all depends on what RAID engine you use not all RAID engines are the same just like not all cars are the same.
September 29, 2010 10:07:48 PM

I know this one's old but I have something to add. If he's using the built in raid mobo option in bios(dell xps 410), it gives the option to enable raid even with one drive. One drive in raid defaults to standard ata, non-raid disc. I'm wondering since performance is my main concern for gaming, should I run my 2x 320's in raid 0 for all the game installs to run from & a single 500gb for my os (win 7 x64). Will this give the os the extra stability for drivers & such & the best read access for the game files during play?
m
l
!