Processor no longer runs upto speed

G

hey everyone, about a week ago I got a q9550 I installed a sunbeam core contact freezer onto a asus p5q deluxe motherboard

I was able to achieve a stable fsb of 453 for a total speed of 3.85 ghz... @ 1.25 volts... It passed 24 hour prime on all 3 torture tests

I did a couple benchmarks like supcom and what not and it was much better then my previous processor... but now ot seems the system isn't stable...

The cpu now cannot boot into windows with any voltage LESS than 1.33 volts... which is way to high for a 45 nm processor

I then thought it might be a power supply issue like the 12 v rails no longer are supplying enough because they might have degraded... so I switched out the power supply... no affect on the system what so ever

I am now trying to pass prime on a 453 fsb with a multiplier of 6 instead of 8.5, so far it seems to be passing it...

I'm wondering though... why did this happen... is there anything I can do about it? Could it possibly be the motherboard? I'm really just "flabbergasted" at this and I want it back at 3.85 ghz... but nothing I do is able to get it back up there.

Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to post temps

on stock everything the q9550 idles in the low thirties and when it was stable at 3.85 ghz it idled in the high thirties and never loaded about 65 so I don't think its a temperature issue

G

I do not actually know how to check the vdroop but turning on load line calibration does not help

I'll go look up how to check vdroop on a computer

EDIT: unable to find how to check vdroop specifically

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
G

in cpuz at stock settings idle it says the vcore is 1.216 and then at full load its 1.224