The title doesn't state the full problem but let me explain whats going on.

A friend of mine has a new system that I gave him the parts to buy and he had it put together and had Vista x64 installed on it. Let me give the specs first:

Mobo: Asus M3A78-T
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9850BE
RAM: 8GB of Corsair XMS2 Dominator PC28500
GPU: 2 HD4870s in CF
HDD: 2 Seagate 500GB 7200.11
Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI

Now its a kick ass sytem and at 1920x1200 in TF2 with everything maxed on one card he gets 150FPS. But the main problem is Vista asked him to update to SP1 so he did. Now he is unable to boot as it is missing a file, the ahcix64s.sys. I am trying to see how to get that back in the system/drivers folder but have not had Vista crash on me nore have I had to work on anything like that yet. I am woundering if it could be a AMD related problem or not since I saw a guy with the same problem on a older SB600 mobo.

Anywho is there anyone who has Vista x64 and can tell me how to get this file back? He tried a System Restore via the Installation CD but it gave him the Gray Screen of Death while booting to the disc and he was going to try it again but hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Any help would be appreciated a lot.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
First of all go to the ASUS support forums.
I see this question asked
"I plan to buy AM2+ CPU and DDR2 1066. I found on that forum that AM2+ CPU does not support more than one DDR2 1066 memory module per channel. Is this true?"
Answer
"Yes, due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 memory module is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only. Please keep this limitation in mind when you purchase your DDR2 1066 memory module." for related model
Asus M3A78-T.

I think that if one desired 8 gigabytes of RAM your friend would be better off with DDR2-800 RAM although it will make the system a little slower.

This memory problem could be somehow related to this issue with erratic behavior.

See here
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

and here

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M3A78-T&board_id=1

Also when installing Vista 64 bit I've heard you want to only have 1 stick of RAM in the machine.That's what I heard and I've never had any problems.
Here is some additional help for Vista.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366/en-us

^Well I had him make sure to install Vista with only 1 stick in then add the rest. Strange thing is he never had a problem with it for about a week with the full 8GB of memory in it.

Strange thing is this happened after the SP1 update so thats what makes me think it was cause by this.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I've installed SP1 just a few days ago with the Vista 64 bit Home Premium Operating System on my 9850BE CPU based system with an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe motherboard and have had no problems.Then again I chose the slower DDR2-800 memory because I read about the problem on the ASUS support site before I purchased the memory.Honestly I don't know if the memory might have caused the data corruption (or possible erratic behavior) but I thought that I'd bring attention to this issue.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I had the same issue, I removed half of my RAM and Vista installed without a hitch. Also try turning off S.M.A.R.T for the HDD's (I'm told this helps). Check the memory voltage Most RAM that I have used is 2.1V, however the BIOS sets it to 1.8V.

As for the restore, It's probably best to slave the disk, pull off anything important. Then format and start fresh. (sometimes x64 just jacks up for no apparent reason)

I understand but sometimes its not that. I have 4 sticks of DDR2 1066 1GB each in all 4 of my slots and neve a problem yet its not said to be.

I will ask him to try it with just 2 sticks of the DDR2 1066.

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I have a similar problem with this system:

------------------------------

AMD 9850BE @ anywhere from 800MHZ to 2.5Ghz

Formerly Asus M3A-H &780G) and now Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX)

1-4GB of G-Skill DDR-2 800 or 1-4GB of DDR-2 1066 OCZ Platinum (and yes, voltages set correctly. Even tried underclocking.)

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Western Digital Caviar 750GB 5400-7200

ATI HD 4870 512MB -or- ATI HD 3300 IGP.

Ideazon Merc Stealth Keyboard.. and Logitech MX518 Mouse, if that really matters

Corsair 550W Single Rail

------------------------

After each totally fresh install, it crashes/blue screens. All memory tests I've completed were fine. Regardless of the blue screen, I seriously doubt it is a memory issue, but something to do with bad drivers.

Booting up in safe mode, it crashes after crcdisk.sys. It's probably trying to load an incorrect driver after this file, but I can't figure out how to see which driver it's trying to load so I can fix the darn thing as there doesn't seem to be a step by step confirmation mode (thanks Microsoft).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
ahcix64s.sys is Windows' native Advanced Host Controller Interface driver. Check if your friend has the BIOS running on "Legacy IDE/Native IDE" (the right one) or "AHCI/RAID" mode (the wrong one). SB600 (and even SB750) has problems related to AHCI and it should not be enabled. If enabled it will not allow Windows to boot or it will give random BSODs. Also, you could try searching for the file within the Installation CD or ask it to check for problems that prevent the computer from booting (not System Restore, but rather another tool that comes on the Installation CD).

This driver might be worth too: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gamesite/8-8_vista32-64_sb_67983.exe

It's the latest SouthBridge driver for AMD chipsets.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Oh, you'll probably find the driver in C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-7_vista32-64_sb_67983\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB6xx\RAID\LH64A\

It's in the file I linked. : ) Just need to copy and paste it on C:\Windows\System32\drivers.

^We tried doing a System repair and it wouldn't let him do it. Said it couldn't be done.

Then we tried a reinstall and it asked for a Driver for the CDRom.....

This has been such a pain. When he gets it on I will have him download and install that file into the system/drivers folder to make sure its going to go. Its just weird because before SP1 he was fine and it ran very happily.

Its been a pain and it sucks that he is in CA and Im in AZ so I can't do it myself.

So wait the SB drivers are in the Catalyst package?

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
^Well, actually, they're "in" a "Catalyst package", but not in *the* Catalyst package everyone downloads (graphics)! : p Took me some time to figure out this mess. Damn, 20 MBs for a Southbridge driver pack.

So, just to understand it better, he managed to install SP1 and then he couldn't boot anymore, right?

^Right afte the SP1 install it started Grey Screen of Deathing stating that that file, ahcix64s.sys, was missing and it wouldn't boot into Vista.

Now the weird thing is he can get into Vista by loading the boot menu (for safe mode) and booting into Vista without the Driver Signing or whatever it is.

I think I will try to see if I can get him to boot inton Windows that way, download the driver package and install it as well as copy that file to the system/drivers folder.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
^ Such a strange issue. :x Perhaps corrupted SP1 installer?

Well, the driver that's in the package is signed, so it must be OK.

Anyway, you could just download and "install" it for yourself, then you could send him the file by E-Mail. The first time you run the Catalyst pack it will only "unzip" the files. Guess he doesn't need to run the installer, since he only needs one file.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
So in safe mode, he can't go back using 'system restore'? Or did he turn it off?

I know I have mine turned off, but I use a nortons ghost if I have a catastrophe. :lol:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oooph.

It sounds like he's gonna have to to a new fresh install. Then after the new install run the SP1, before updates on drivers.

My vista 64 update disk basically came with sp1. I'm just glad I didn't run into that kind of problem.

I wonder if he could take one 4850 out. Perhaps vista having a CF issue?

^I was woundering that but this happened before he turned on the CF.

I hope we can do it like dattmir states but without having to do a fresh install since ha can get into Windows but the driver signing is turned off and he is restricted to what he can do.

^I would think maybe but I am not sure of that as this is a newer AMD 790GX mobo with the SB750 and has yet to have any BIOS updates.

BTW thatnsk for the help so far. I just want to get it running normally so he can play games.