Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 w/ ep45-ds3l - trying to overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
July 9, 2009 12:48:31 AM

I am running a Q6600 with a ep45-ds3l, and two sticks up Corsair DDR II SDRAM RAm, pc2-6400 (400 mhz each).

just picked up an arctic freezer 7.

I would like to overclock to 3.6 but am currently trying to overclock to 3.2 ghz.

these are the settings I inputed into the BIOS:

356 x 9
vtt 1.35
pll 1.55

pci set to 100

multiplier set to 667

My computer boots with these settings but it boots up always at 356 x 6, not 356 x 9, so it is actually running at way below 3.2 ghz.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do to fix this? Thanks.
July 9, 2009 12:44:35 PM

Disable C1E in bios?
July 9, 2009 9:40:51 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have just been learning more about the way the powersaving feature works for the Gigabyte mobos. So now I understand that with C1E enabled the processor will stay at a lower setting, only moving up as needed.

I have experimented both with enabling C1E and disabling it in BIOS and then doing tests with prime. And this has led me to wonder: what triggers these multiplier changes?

Right now I have things set at 440 x 8 (3.52 ghz), and I have C1E enabled. If I run prime95, and watch in coretemp, I never see it move from 6 up to 8, despite the fact a processor-intensive task is running. Why is this? Would coretemp not register this change, and is there another piece of software I would need to see this shifting? Also looking at the CPU panel in easytune, the multiplier always remains at 6, so I'm left wondering if the feature functioning properly?

I appreciate the feedback.
Related resources
July 9, 2009 9:56:19 PM

Just disable C1E ... i personnally never let it ON. Power saving ? .... my computer use 150W when idling ... so i just turn 2 room lights OFF and there is the saving ...

Disable C1E, your VTT and PLL seems fine. What about temps ?
July 9, 2009 9:57:43 PM

very odd, all cores are at 100% but it is staying at x6.0.

I am looking at it in both CPU-Z and Core Temp.... both show 6...

does this mean there is no way I can overclock unless I turn C1E off? or could there be another BIOS setting causing a conflict, which is causing this?
July 9, 2009 10:17:46 PM

Ok I was able to figure out the problem: it was having EIST enabled that was causing the multiplier to stay stuck at 6. I turned off EIST and now the C1E function is working properly.
July 9, 2009 10:20:02 PM

My settings have changed a bit since my first post. This is what I have now:

8 x 440
vcore 1.48 (anything less was causing BSOD during prime)
vtt 1.34
pll 1.55

I am idling at 45. Stress testing with prime takes me up to 70.

Any fine-tuning suggestions would be welcome.
July 10, 2009 2:16:15 AM

Quote:
thats a pretty damn good overclock

My sentiments exactly, and on an Arctic Freezer 7 even...
July 11, 2009 3:15:41 PM

I'm wondering if overclocking can cause problems with Vista sleep? Since doing my OC I'm having trouble getting the comp to wake up from sleep. When I go to wake it up the following happens:

fan comes on, there is sign of comp accessing my optical drives.. then everything goes dark.. same process repeats ad infinitum

if I turn the comp off at the PSU, then turn it back on after a few seconds, it will reboot, and allow me to restore my sleep state from disk... but that is pretty inconvenient...

never had any problems waking up from sleep before.. any ideas?
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
July 11, 2009 8:01:21 PM

mtyermom said:
My sentiments exactly, and on an Arctic Freezer 7 even...

Agreed. An ACF7P is a great budget cooler, but you 70 C load temps indicate that you are pushing it a little hard.

I have the thermal alarm in the BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboards set to 70 C.
July 11, 2009 10:22:54 PM

I have an ATI Radeon 4800, with the latest ATI drivers. Also have the latest drivers for my mobo from Gigabyte's site.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2009 5:06:41 AM

intzor said:
I'm wondering if overclocking can cause problems with Vista sleep? Since doing my OC I'm having trouble getting the comp to wake up from sleep. When I go to wake it up the following happens:

fan comes on, there is sign of comp accessing my optical drives.. then everything goes dark.. same process repeats ad infinitum

if I turn the comp off at the PSU, then turn it back on after a few seconds, it will reboot, and allow me to restore my sleep state from disk... but that is pretty inconvenient...

never had any problems waking up from sleep before.. any ideas?

vista's sleep mode is iffy at best - some systems with nvidia video chipsets still have issues, and overclocking also causes issues with it (well not vista but standby etc and coming out of it) - try disabling power mode "hybrid sleep" and google a guide to set the sleep mode to Hybernate (suspend to disk?) rather then STR/S3+.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2009 5:08:35 AM

boulard83 said:
Just disable C1E ... i personnally never let it ON. Power saving ? .... my computer use 150W when idling ... so i just turn 2 room lights OFF and there is the saving ...

Disable C1E, your VTT and PLL seems fine. What about temps ?

I left it on with my overclock and i manage to get my Q6600 to idle at *just* under the stock speed (2.334ghz) and max out at 3.5ghz (stock Q6600 - 2.4ghz).
July 12, 2009 3:20:23 PM

to get your q6600 to 3.2 all you do is set your multi to 8 clock your ram at 400 and set xmp to profile 1, and mek sure your mem is on the 2.00d setting and put your cpu on 1.325 volts, and guees what you will have 3.2 ghz

and you don't have to disable c1e, I don't know why people keep saying that, it has nothing to do with stability or overclocking ability.

and to clock it to 3.6 just put your multi on 9 and fine tune your voltages, it's no harder than that
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2009 9:20:42 PM

kg4icg said:
to get your q6600 to 3.2 all you do is set your multi to 8 clock your ram at 400 and set xmp to profile 1, and mek sure your mem is on the 2.00d setting and put your cpu on 1.325 volts, and guees what you will have 3.2 ghz

and you don't have to disable c1e, I don't know why people keep saying that, it has nothing to do with stability or overclocking ability.

and to clock it to 3.6 just put your multi on 9 and fine tune your voltages, it's no harder than that

do NOT just jump your overclock drasticly like suggested here
July 12, 2009 10:39:53 PM

Apache Lives,

Thanks for your suggestion to disable sleep and enable hibernate. I did this and the hibernate function seems to be working as it should.

The downside with this is that it takes me longer to get back to my desktop than when using S3, since basically a reboot is needed, whereas when S3 was working for me (back before I OC'ed) I was able to get back to my desktop with the click of a mouse. But at least I don't need to reach back there and turn the PSU on and off as I have been having to do recently, so this is definitely the better way.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2009 10:55:47 PM

A quick note in Gigabyte OCing:
It is usually recommended that you should NOT install the DES (Dynamic Energy Saver) software. All the EP-xx boards have this software on the driver DVD. If you have already installed DES I highly recommend you uninstall it before doing a OC. The DES software can/may lead to system instability when OCed.
July 12, 2009 11:48:48 PM

apache_lives said:
do NOT just jump your overclock drasticly like suggested here

How is that drastic when I have run that for a year with my voltage never getting over 1.24 volts at 3.2 ghz, If you think that is drastifc, you better lock yourself in your room, that is mild compared to 4 ghz people are getting from a q6600. Oh and by the way the EP45-DS3L can handle a 1600 fsb no problem.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2009 2:26:07 AM

^kg41cg, you are an idiot for suggesting such a jump. OCing should be done in stages as stable OC settings change from system to system.
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2009 8:09:30 AM

kg4icg said:
How is that drastic when I have run that for a year with my voltage never getting over 1.24 volts at 3.2 ghz, If you think that is drastifc, you better lock yourself in your room, that is mild compared to 4 ghz people are getting from a q6600. Oh and by the way the EP45-DS3L can handle a 1600 fsb no problem.

Ummmm i managed to get my (early batch) E6600 clocked to 3200/1600 with stock cooling on an 965 based motherboard (ASUS P5B Deluxe/Wifi-app) back in the day - still running as an old rig even today with the same settings - i was one of the first to put the 4mb cache + 1600fsb "limit" myth (at the time) down - dont tell me 1600 is any sort of issue.

Jumping drastically = stupid.
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2009 8:15:20 AM

oh and im not talking about 4ghz and that sort of drastic, im talking step by step to get the most out of the cpu - the correct way, and a Q6600 @ 4ghz = super batch, super cooling, or super stupid (1.7+ on vcore)
July 13, 2009 1:17:18 PM

well if you guys think having stock voltage set running the multi at 8 with the mem set at 400 which would give you a 1:1 on the memory with average voltage use not being above 1.25 volts on the cpu which is below 1.325 volts recommended on a motherboard that handles the fsb up 1600 which is the qdr for the mem being set at 400 is drastic? Then I must be a psycho for doing that the first time and leaving it like that for a year.
!