/ Sign-up
Your question

Worth Buying 4850 now or wait???

  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
July 22, 2008 8:23:43 PM

Hi, I just built a new computer and I want to put in an ati 4850 but from what I've been hearing, prices may drop again soon.

Is it worth waiting till end of august/september? or should I just buy 1 now?

More about : worth buying 4850 wait

July 22, 2008 8:31:40 PM

prices will always drop and new stuff will always come out. If you wana wait for some of the second gen 4850s, ones with 1gig and better coolers they should be out in the next month or so
July 22, 2008 8:51:14 PM

I would just order it now man. I actually just pulled the trigger on a 4870 about 20 min ago lol. There is a promo code for newegg for the visiontek 4870 that brings it down to $265 with free shipping (I couldnt resist) I was considering a toxic 4850 from sapphire (this may be something you may want to wait for) I am unsure of pricing, but it supposedly should hit retail in the next week or so (possibly this week).

Not much has been said on pricing, but I dont think it will be much higher than that of the normal 4850. Hopefully this helps, I say go for it if you want it now and you have the money.


Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 22, 2008 10:44:52 PM

What about these price cut wars nvidia and amd are having?
July 22, 2008 11:09:17 PM

They are not likely to drop much further so just buy it if you want it.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 11:24:27 PM

i would buy now the prices r quite low.
July 23, 2008 3:57:19 AM

starwarsmonkey said:
What about these price cut wars nvidia and amd are having?

lol really it is only nvidia that is having to cut the prices.


July 23, 2008 4:09:22 AM

bydesign said:
They are not likely to drop much further so just buy it if you want it.

as ball said, it is more like nvidia cutting/slashing prices after the major fail/underperformance for their new cards
July 23, 2008 8:45:48 AM

Buy the card mate. $160 for a 4850 is a steal. Don't expect ATI to drop its prices further.
July 23, 2008 12:24:44 PM

Make sure you have excellent case ventilation, or be ready to fit another cooling solution to it. 4850 native cooling is shoddy.
July 23, 2008 2:42:30 PM

Just buy it now, you will be satisfied and wont regret it. I hate the waiting game, and I finally realized that it is all the same **** with very small increases in performance. If you wait until August I am sure they will announce something even cooler for September, then you will wait until September and so on. My new computer got prolonged for about 4 months because I kept playing the waiting game, and in the end when everything was out and brand new, the gains were not that large compared to if I had just bought the computer 4 months ago.