Sign in with
Your question

Naysayer SOUND OFF

Last response: in Overclocking
July 9, 2009 6:06:41 AM

I was looking inside one of those water coolers where you put the huge plastic bottles of water on top and noticed that there is a small refrigerator unit inside? That'll cool a CPU way down, of course you will have to do something about condensation, perhaps fill your case with some near inert gas that still conduct heat well but doesn't have moisture to condensate or how about using it with one of those mineral oil cooled PC. . . . OK! Naysayer SOUND OFF?

More about : naysayer sound

a c 86 K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 6:10:55 AM

????
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 6:44:13 AM

I think he means one of these:

Related resources
July 9, 2009 7:21:45 AM

Yyuuup! Wannadose
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 8:11:54 AM

Dear lord, how many times?

This is a worse idea then the mini fridge. Its one thing to chill room temp water, its another to chill a 125W CPU. A chilling unit that small would last how long before it burns itself out? It wasn't designed to cool a CPU, it wouldn't last long.
July 9, 2009 8:46:25 AM

It's funny that you have a toilet as your Jiggything cause all of a sudden I Gotta take a dump and I am sure glad you wasn't there umpteen decades ago when the guy came up with the idea of putting it inside of the house, "It'll stink the whole house up", " You still gotta go outside every time to empty the buckets", What! Only PC builder can get more than the manufactured power out of their stuff, refrigeration units can be overclocked, so to speak. Anyway you are thinking Watts, think BTUs but the mini fridge is a better idea and it definitely can handle it. Starting and stopping is more damaging but we'll have it just stay on continuously while on. Dude, this'll work!
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 10:17:46 AM

Riiiiiiiight. Go ahead and do that, make sure you post back with the youtube link so we can see/bow in your greatness.
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 11:43:44 AM

Well, a naysayer has sounded off.
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 1:05:17 PM

At least it wasn't another minifridge believer.
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 2:17:41 PM

No, but he went the wrong way. You need something bigger/better then a mini fridge, not small/weaker.
July 9, 2009 3:01:41 PM

Yes! There are some people who LOVE to be smarter than others and there are two way to get that way. 1 learn more stuff but wait? That'll take time from my playing games and stepping on peoples bright ideas. 2. make others dummer than me by stepping on their bright ideas.

I got a question for you ix dude and you convic dude in cell block 47457, did you guys hear that idea and come to the conclusion that a mini fridge won't work in two minutes? OR!. . . Drum Role. . actually "first" think of why it "WOULD" work? You know, like inside plumbing? Like getting a computer that need a building by it's self to fit into a pizza box?

I got a great idea. . . NO! Wait, don't crush this one. Imagine the scenario first, Biff embarrassed you at recess by calling you dumb daring you, by you I mean us, saying, "Your so Dumb that You cannot even make an OCers dream Cooler out of a Mini Fridge", and you say, "OH! Yea, You Wait And See". Keep in mind that Suzzy was there playing tether ball with chrisy and Biff had his boys with him, Ned, chuck, and billy who use to be your best friend but joined biff to get him off of his case. We're now in your tree house fort after school thinking "How We Gonna Make This Work"

Questions that you guys MUST know:
1. How many BTUs does a CPU put out over all of it's ranges?
2. What is the maximum BTUs that a mini fridge is capable moving in it's current configuration?
3. Is that limited by the construction, I.Eif we take everything we need out of the box
4. What kinda Rigor mortis can we put on it to increase it's performance? Headers, racing slicks, turbo charger
5. what kinda case can we put it all in.

You know, it doesn't really sound that hard, a lot harder than shooting sNOT on the idea, OK! having to deal with the refrigerant is a bit of a stick point but I am sure that if we find the answers to those questions are a go that that sticky point will be like a vapor. We are just doing a bit of mental flatulation and we will get something out of it either way, a Wet Dream Cooling solution or solid answers as to why it cannot be done by "US".

The fact is that it can be done, without a doubt but one cannot do it with their brains tied behind their backs. Mineral Oil Cooler, I would've slammed that, maybe, but it works, It sound so ridiculous.
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 3:18:14 PM

Okay, you have fun with your ideas. I need to get back to reality myself.
July 9, 2009 5:13:01 PM

Reality is expanding reality or at lease our small concept of it to include things like inside plumbing, computers on our desk, mineral oil submerged computer, gads, that one still amazed me even though it works. I got a question for you, have you ever modified anything, not follow someone else's tried and true off the wall plan but your own? Those never fail unless you quit, they just don't work out as planned but you always get something good out of them. A few times from now when youre buying a refridgerated CPU cooler off the shelf you will not even think about this conversation. Stay Num, Put Your Fingers in You Ears and hum, anything to not hear what the future will bring when it comes.
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 5:50:15 PM

There are reasons we tell people this stuff (who have no idea how to do it and haven't done any research on it)...its been tried before and it doesn't work. You are just mad because we told you it wouldn't work and it's a bad idea. Great...if you are so determined to show us up, do it, post results, pictures and prove us all wrong. Oh yeah, go ahead and try to doctor up pics and screeshots (or just use them from another rig...)
July 9, 2009 8:08:36 PM

Look Ix, I am having fun. I have been modifying stuff from about 7 years old, I never listen to naysayers. Never! I know it works but seldom on the first try someone will get it to work. A real fabricator who tried it with not success will not tell the next guy it can't be done, he will pass his research on to you, what went wrong for him. But on the other hand, a Naysayer will only give you the, "It Can,t Be Done" and you and the rest of the world should never ever try it again. IT'S A HEAT MOVER FOR GOODNESS SAKES. CPUs have heat that need to be moved and if it isn't doing the job it needs adjusting. Simple. Truth of the matter is if you aren't the first hand modifying type and you actually have never tried it your self you have no grounds for saying "it can't work", you can, However, say, " So in So say it didn't work for him". You two really shouldn't answer this post anymore, let someone with first hand experience or at lease first hand knowledge of the situation post with explicit problems associated with the task and just read. . . or not. This is suppose to be about problem solving, sharing problems and solutions not this stuff youre selling.
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 8:28:28 PM

Quote:
I have been modifying stuff from about 7 years old, I never listen to naysayers

Yet, you label your thread 'NAYSAYERS, sound off!!!'

So, you want input, only as long as it agrees with your plan?

My understanding was that a naysayer was someone who vocally opposed something???

Quote:
You two really shouldn't answer this post anymore, let someone with first hand experience or at lease first hand knowledge of the situation post with explicit problems associated with the task and just read. . . or not. This is suppose to be about problem solving, sharing problems and solutions not this stuff youre selling

I do believe there is such a thing as free speech, and being a forum (and you happened to pose the question) we have the right to reply...with information you approve of or disapprove of. You appear to have little knowledge in this situation. That's completely fine. But, you are somewhat of a closed-minded hypocrite when those of us offer ideas or suggestions that differ from your own.

Go ahead, do it...make sure you come back and give us all the details.
July 9, 2009 8:44:03 PM

I've been thinking of creating a cheaper version of the PC Phase Change systems for awhile.....

I want to use an 80.00 window A/C unit (torn apart)......place the cooling coils into an ice chest filled with antifreeze along with the radiator and see if it can lower CPU temps further than the water system I've got now.......

Just a thought, nothing more......feedback appreciated though!
July 9, 2009 11:05:00 PM

Sound interesting, do you really need the chest of antifreeze? perhaps just the radiator attached directly to the center of the evaporator or where ever the air current is highest? Of course the chest will give you a cooling buffer of sorts for when the unit cycles. If you have the capacity to discharge and recharge A/C you can really do something. You can scrap both the evaporator and the CPU water cooler radiator and build a custom unit that maximizes surface contact without the need of a chest of antifreeze. It can be much smaller than a large square evaporator. Is there a way to upload pix on this forum?
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 10, 2009 7:39:51 AM

You want to build a uber cooling unit and you can't figure out how to make pics show up here?

July 10, 2009 12:07:57 PM

Dude? Why are you here? What are you some kinda hate monger? You got nothing better to do but to try to smash people? That don't work here, you are hurting your self. Go back over the whole thread and if you are able see what the whole gist of what you are about, it's not about what this forum is about. You seem bent on compressing people back into you your little small reality. Heyyy! Waaiiiit! I got free rent in your head! You cannot stop thinking about me! When you see my user ID you cannot help but read it and stew & spew hate, eh? Tell the truth, when you feel hate you feel powerful, like you can just rip a bear in two with you hands, go ahead try it, grab the bear off of your pillow and tear it in two. You know hate is power, yes for impotent people people to weak to risk vulnerability. To really have a friend you must be a true friend and entails the risk of being hurt and it will happen you will get hurt but that's when your tongue comes in, lick your wounds and try again and at times with the same person that hurt you. You see, instead of posting that hurtful comment about my not knowing how to put a pic you should've just told me. That would've made you look smart, Missed that one didn't you! Soo after all that, how do you put a picture here?

I am not a OCr and have no plans on making a refrigerated cooler, Yet, I am just talking about the possibilities, perhaps I can help someone else.
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 10, 2009 1:18:06 PM

Thanks Dr. Phil. And he has the right to be here, just like the rest of us. So, your idea of telling someone that they don't belong here in a forum or they don't have the right to give the advice they do is just as damning as your rant about hate and anger. It is the same kind of oppression, just with a different spin. Wake up, man.

51 years old and you act like an 18 year old kid with a chip on your shoulder?
July 10, 2009 2:00:12 PM

I have several ice chests (the Coleman 95 degree ones) that I considered using as the "heat exchange unit" containing the A/C cooling coils and radiator.......

I tried the "radiator in the ice" method years back, and it did work well......just messy!

So I've got the cool fluid heat exchange on my brain......no real reason except it would be easier to keep the water cooling system I've already got and just add the ac cooling coils into the ice chest......I'm being lazy and don't want the plumbing nightmare of squeezing the ac coils into my PC...... ;-)
July 10, 2009 4:22:26 PM

BogSpores,
What about condensation? Putting the A/C coils in your PC case probably is a nightmare. How about taking some copper tubing the same size as you water cooler tubing and zig zag or spiral it across the face of the A/C coils. That probably will work while leaving it as a window A/C unit as it will be better to have the condenser outside as it will heat it up in the room and increase noise levels. As a simple note what would be the results of just taking some six inch flexible A/C duct from a Window unit to a large Air cooler? Just thinking. What do you think about the possibilities of having one of those mineral oil tank PCs and putting A/C coils inside? My only thought to that is what would happen to the oil consistency and transparency at lower temps? I am sure that there are other fluids that will work if mineral oil dont work at those temps.
July 10, 2009 4:47:51 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Thanks Dr. Phil. And he has the right to be here, just like the rest of us. So, your idea of telling someone that they don't belong here in a forum or they don't have the right to give the advice they do is just as damning as your rant about hate and anger. It is the same kind of oppression, just with a different spin. Wake up, man.

51 years old and you act like an 18 year old kid with a chip on your shoulder?

I did not tell him to go I am suggesting he do so and to take you with him. This post is not good for you two because it seems that you are upset because I didn't take your advise to not talk about the possibilities of this particular cooler. I am not mad at all, really. Imagine this, you see me talking to someone, lets say BogSpores about a topic that is interesting to both he and I, you with me so far? Anyway a couple of flies start flying around my head and I keep on talking but start waving my hands trying to keep them out of my face. You see, I am not angry at all I am just swatting at flies.

So I'll ask you the same question, "Why Are You Here"? This is a thread about Refrigerated CPU coolers that I started and you're coming Aaaalll Theee Wwwwhhhyyy Oooovveerrrr Hhheeerrreee to talk to me, someone you obviously hate? Go figure!

Bricks don't bounce unless you throw it at the wrong thing so trust me, I am not angry at all that's your own stuff being reflected back at you.

Here's a good one for you, print this thread but change the names and show it to someone "mature" that don't use this forum and ask them there opinion.
July 10, 2009 6:18:10 PM

The copper coils run along side the A/C coils sounds pretty good!....and would be FAR LESS messy than an ice chest filled with liquid..... ;-)

Bottom line, there HAS to be a way for someone to utilize the phase change system of a small A/C unit rather than shell out 350.00+ for a PC case with phase change already installed......

My current liquid cooling setup works ok, but not effecient enough to overclock my old Celeron D (2.66) to 4.1MHz unless the radiator is dunked in ice......
July 11, 2009 12:12:31 AM

I just up graded from a Celron 3.06 socket 478, we can trade strait across if you like, I want to give the pc to someone in need so I will need a CPU to keep it functional. About that coil, the fins are actually in the way for this trick, they prevent putting the copper Antifreeze lines into direct contact with the aluminum coolant lines of the coil to get optimal heat transfer. When you said that you disassembled the unit did you discharge it? I only ask because if you did and haven't yet recharged the system it would be much better to make a coil tailored to your specific needs. Imagine this, take some copper tubing the size of your coil tubing and wrap it into a coil cylinder similar to a car suspension spring in size only the coils are closed then wrap the smaller tubing into the groove between the large tubing then continue the larger tubing back across over the smaller tubing. See, the small tubing coil will be sandwhiched in between two larger coils. That will give complete incapsulation of the smaller tubing. I don't think I painted a very good work picture. Just in case you didn't get what I am trying to say put eight penny's on a table in a two by four, touching. this is like a cross section, the triangle in between any four is where the smaller tubing will be. Submerged in just enough antifreeze to act like the thermal grease to heat conductivity will not hurt either.
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 11, 2009 3:17:18 AM

I think I've posted more in this thread just to get you going, bruthakuga. It's been fun getting you all in an uproar.

I think I'm done though, thanks for the funnies!
July 15, 2009 5:55:09 PM

Mr. CumDrunk, I Mean, well who ever. I don't believe you, I think you really believe all that you were saying and believe me, that is truly better than this, that you are now saying, that you were just perverting this wonderful forum to amuse yourself at the expense of others? This place where people come to get real solution to situation is now but a place to get brow beaten and bullied by mean people, Shame on you. You know, even if it will not work it can be "FUN" exploring the options, However, I know it will it will work. Of course you'll never know it from someones weak attempt to getterdone and then wanting you to not try because they merely say, "It Wont Work". They will not tell you that they tried something like taking the side off of there PC and duct taped it to the window unit while drunk. "NOW THAT FUNNY"

I'd bet that there were a few people that wanted to talk about this but noticed the trouble you two were dishing out and kept clear. You know there's a cure for meaness, all you need is to take one tab and you will never want to harm another person, ever, really.
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 15, 2009 6:00:48 PM

^^ What? About 2% of that made any sense at all.
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 16, 2009 6:14:48 AM

LOL, so much fun! I'm calm. The crazy guy is on a kink. Hope he doesn't have a gun at the gas station.

Better report this as a threat to a user here on TH. Might be a ban outright.
July 16, 2009 10:54:31 AM

Naysayer, rejoice. I have information that you can put behind your, "It wont work". "The liquid nitrogen method of cooling can reach temperatures well below -100°C but is seldom used in contexts other than overclocking trial-runs and record-setting attempts, as the CPU will usually expire within a relatively short period of time due to temperature stress caused by changes in internal temperature.". That principal may also apply to refrigerated CPUs, maybe, or it may mean that one should keep the temps up above zero:)  One of you guys said that a water cooler would burn out, no, it wont, it'll just cool as best it can and keep running provided that one is not trying to cool lava. I am from the desert and we use those thing there and they will cool 100 degree water setting in the desert sun. If all the heat in a half gallon of room temperature water was inside a space the size of a CPU the temperature would increase to be relative to that as a running CPU. Sort of like a magnifying glass, it takes the light from say a 3" glass and compress it into a size of a quarter of an inch and you got some real heat only with heat the denser substances can hold more heat and water is very dense.
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2009 12:19:13 PM

What your forgetting is that it only cools that water once. You aren't CONSTANTLY having it cool (55c load temp = 55 x 1.8 +32) 131F water. Or rather the energy that would make water that hot,

Have you ever listened to a fridge or AC? They turn on and off. Partly so the air doesn't get to cold, but also so the pump doesn't blow itself out. What do you think will happen to the CPU while the system is off?

You said this yourself, so I'll repeat it for you. How much heat does a CPU CONSTANTLY output? How much heat can a water cooler CONSTANTLY cool? I'll take the figure in BTUs or Watts or whatever you can find the answer in. I'm smart enough to realize that you can convert engergy from one measurement to another.

Last, you might want to think about this. More then one person in this thread has told you it won't work. You might want to stop and think about it, because they might be right. Or at the very least, start posting some links/math showing how you are right, rather then just stating "I know it will it will work."

(reply with another name calling tirade and I'll stop posting in your thread. Name calling is nothing more then showing us you have no case, and can't prove it.)
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 16, 2009 1:43:58 PM

Just do it already, post all pics, build logs, tests, etc. Pass or fail; let's see the outcome. If you are so confident it will work, why do you keep coming here to talk smack? Just do it and prove us wrong...
July 16, 2009 10:04:40 PM

4745454b said:
What your forgetting is that it only cools that water once. You aren't CONSTANTLY having it cool (55c load temp = 55 x 1.8 +32) 131F water. Or rather the energy that would make water that hot,

Have you ever listened to a fridge or AC? They turn on and off. Partly so the air doesn't get to cold, but also so the pump doesn't blow itself out. What do you think will happen to the CPU while the system is off?

You said this yourself, so I'll repeat it for you. How much heat does a CPU CONSTANTLY output? How much heat can a water cooler CONSTANTLY cool? I'll take the figure in BTUs or Watts or whatever you can find the answer in. I'm smart enough to realize that you can convert engergy from one measurement to another.

Last, you might want to think about this. More then one person in this thread has told you it won't work. You might want to stop and think about it, because they might be right. Or at the very least, start posting some links/math showing how you are right, rather then just stating "I know it will it will work."

(reply with another name calling tirade and I'll stop posting in your thread. Name calling is nothing more then showing us you have no case, and can't prove it.)

Ha! So you agree, it will cool it, and to make it clear we are talking about a Water Cooler, not a mini frige, or larger still a window A/C. Cooooool, so now we have to get by the "Burn Out" thing. It keeps shuting down primarily to maintain the temp as you stated but also, not to keep from burning out but to be energy efficient. It will run all year long let alone a few hours of gaming without burning out or drastically reducing it life expectancy. A/C compressor are high heat, heavy duty thingamajigs but are energy hogs for real.

Here's the deal, a compressor is a one trick pony, it will not run faster, harder, nor hotter. When it is running it don't care how long it runs cause it is self warming and self cooling but to be completely sure, off and on is more damaging to it. 4745454b, I like your not just being totally immature and hateful like those other boys but come with some real technical understanding.

I might be convinced that you have more than a philips screw driver:)  You know, there are all kinds strange folks on these forums with sinister agendas. Many are really impotent out in the real world and come to cyber world so that they can be bad, and talk sh***t but will pi***ss there pants in a confrontation. You mentioned that many will tell me that it will not work but only you so far are trying to give sound reasons why not, I am not going to listen to any Ixinums, people I don't know, havn't seen and sound like they are spouting propaganda they heard somewhere.

Propaganda is a powerful drug. Have you noticed that not one person said that they have tried it and why, because someone "druged them" with a simple, "IT DON"T WORK" without proof. I am not going to build one, don't need it. I like solving electrical/mechanical problems and sharing ideas and problems with like minded MATURE people.
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2009 10:11:14 PM

Quote:
Propaganda is a powerful drug

Then stop smoking it. You just wrote 4 paragraphs, not one shred of real information in there. Nor did you include the information I asked for. Obviously your here just to troll, and I don't feed them. Good day sir, continue to mislead people and launch your little attacks on people. At the end of the day, I hope you do feel better about yourself, because thats all thats going to happen.

Edited for spelling.
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2009 11:05:43 PM

Playing with some calculators last night, you'd need something that can handle at least 310BTUs for an 89-95W CPU. Some of AMDs 45W CPUs would need half that, but thats still 150BTU plus. If those things are 100BTU only, you couldn't even cool a 45W chip. Sad.

Interesting idea that your playing with. Let us know how it turns out. (If BRU ever decides to post anything useful that might be interesting to see as well.)
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2009 4:28:37 AM

My problem with the calc's is that I know a CPU is 89W, I don't know the time frame. If its outputting 89W every second, then you'd need a cooler that can handle 1mil BTUs. Good luck finding one of those. The calc I was playing with listed it in watt hours, so I probably messed up the decimal place. (sh!7, I'm always doing that. Do I now have to go to federal pound me in the @$$ prison?)
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 17, 2009 3:41:38 PM

Quote:
I am not going to build one, don't need it. I like solving electrical/mechanical problems and sharing ideas and problems with like minded MATURE people.

Sooooo........let's get this all straight, then. You come in here with this outlandish idea that you are certain will work, argue that everyone else is wrong (unless someone agrees with you) and then tell us that you are so confident that you are right, you aren't even going to build it...

I do believe that 4745454b nailed it on the head...you are a troll who does nothing but gets off on trying to be.....

a troll.
!