Home Networking Help

quirthanon

Distinguished
May 2, 2005
I'm going to be setting up a home network and I need some information please.

Cable Modem
I'll be starting with a new cable modem, as I don't trust Comcast to give me a good one. I need a website or other reference to find out which modems are good what the features I should be looking for are. I'd like suggestions to if that's easier.

Router
I'll be added a router to this and other than wanting a firewall what should I be looking for? Are some features I must have?

Switch
I'm looking for a good managed switch. I've got roommates and I don't want to have to deal with one of them hogging all the bandwidth. However, I don't know which other features I'll need.

Other things
I've got a printer and a scanner I'd like to connect to this net work what do I need to do this?

I'd like to make my own cables. What are good criteria for judging cable and what hardware will I need.

The network will be used mostly for gaming and internet. I would however like it to be fast and robust, if possible.

~ Thanks for the information.

ironhide

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Good day!

I maybe a help on your desired setup.Since your network would be for gaming and internet, I suggest you using just regular modem and router.

For cable modem, I recommend Motorola Surfboard or Adelphia.

For routers, I recommend Netgear WGR614.Guaranteed easy to setup.

For your printer/scanner you can use Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server.

For ethernet cables, I suggest you just buy from local stores near you.

Feel free to reply for additional info. needed.

Thanks!

ironhide

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Good day!

I maybe a help on your desired setup.Since your network would be for gaming and internet, I suggest you using just regular modem and router.

For cable modem, I recommend Motorola Surfboard or Adelphia.

For routers, I recommend Netgear WGR614.Guaranteed easy to setup.

For your printer/scanner you can use Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server.

For ethernet cables, I suggest you just buy from local stores near you.

Feel free to reply for additional info. needed.

Thanks!