Thermalright Pure black 120 and Q8200

PSMA

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi,

I installed it yesterday but only later I noticed the instruction said to apply the thermal grease also to the base of heatsink :??: - I applied it only to the CPU. I didn't use the supplied grease, I got a tube of MX-2, and the cooler fan is a Noiseblocker M12-P.

Anyway, I monitorized CPU temps using latest Everest Ultimate Edition and at 25 degrees C ambient temperature, the readings are:

On Idle: Around 42,36,35,39 on core 1 to core 4 and 24 on CPU
After 5 minutes of Stability test: Around 47,44,44,39 on cores and 33 on CPU

I did the same testings with the stock intel cooler; temperatures with the Thermalright 120 lowered around 4-5 degrees in idle and around 13-15 degrees on load, so I guess its everything OK.

Comments about the thermal paste only in CPU and about temps? I didn't overclock yet, my testings purpose was to check the doubt if I did any big mistake by not applying paste in the heatsink.

Note: The case is a Antex nine hundred 2 and board Asus P5QL-Pro

PSMA

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I applied a pea size drop in the center of the CPU (actually a medium/small pea) and spread it with a latex glove all across the surface, as uniform as possible in a thin layer ... just like I saw in many youtube movies ...

TIA
Regards

PSMA

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

I really don't have a reference for comparison - I'll do some searches on foruns. You are aware that the second set of temps I reported were after 5 minutes of CPU stress with the 4 cores at 100% ?

Thanks for your time for replying and help.
Regards

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I think you are not well seated in your HSF socket I would try to re set the HSF asap and then also use half the Heat grease on the proc and half onthe HSf contact plate. Usually this gives me the best results. Also when I set it down and clampit I like to turn the HSF back and fourth sligtly. (helps to seat the HSF in the heat compound.) Also if the temps do not drop uniformly pls consider lapping the Thermalright 120 as it is concave to fit the C2D better. The i7 is very flat for the most part and TR 120 does not equally distribute the heat with its factory contact surface.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
To the OP; You never mentioned your chip, ambient temps, CPU etc.

So any input we give you is blind and pretty worthless.

Putting the MX2 on just the CPU is a standard method. It will squish out.

BTW, your on track with the temp drops. Your load temps are pretty darn good. What are you loading with?

Benching software and such is very varied. I use these for each purpose:
These are pretty standard and used by many.
Monitoring the PC temps overall: HWmonitor aka hardware monitor
CPUZ for CPU info
GPUZ for GPU info
CPU only: RealTemp
GPU only: ATI Tool, I have a Nivida GTX280, so it works on Nvidia

Loading/benching tools:
CPU loaders: Prime95 and OCCT
GPU Loaders: ATI Tool and the best one is Furmark, nothing pushes the GPU harder right now.
Benching for overall graphics/gaming performance is 3DMark06

PSMA

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Thanks Conumdrum for the valuable feedback.

The CPU is a Q8200 and ambiente temperature was around 25 degrees C, case is ANTEC NineHundred 2.

I loaded CPU with EVEREST stability test but I also used Prime95 with similar results. The temps reported by Everest matched exactly the ones reported by CPUZ so I guess they are trustable.

I'll give a look at 3dMark06

Regards and thanks again

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ohh you haven't overclocked yet. That where the TRUE will shine. It will keep temps down below what lesser coolers do. You have no worries till your brnching loading in the high 60's you got lots of room still.

You didn't mention fannage on the TRUE. Might look at goggling other TRUE setups and their fannage. You can also get better fans for that case, but the stock fans are pretty good. Not the best, but good.

PSMA

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

The HS fan is a NoiseBlocker M12-P (had to do some customizing on fixing clips to fit).

Case fans are original. I have the two 120 fan in the cages around half speed, rear one on middle and the big top one on the slowest speed.

I did a test only rising FSB from 333 to 400Mhz to achieve 2.8Ghz (multiplier kept changing between 6x and 7x I guess due to C1E). Anyway, the difference in temp was very very little, like 1 degree in idle and 2 on load with PRIME95.

The guy in the store assured me this was a great heatsink and I am starting to believe him ;)

Regards

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Try putting the top one at medium. it's such a big fan and spins so slow you won't hear it. Anyway, looks like you'll push the chip and really see how good it is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Your temps are GREAT! Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't used a Core i7, or hasn't used a good program to read temperatures.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
mx-2 and AS5 are overhyped IMO... i tried both, AS5 being marginally better, but I used some crap goop packed with a thermalright northbridge heatsink, and it's doing wonders right now

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Awe ***, I put my response on the wrong thread? Now I really need to look up that I7 thread.

As for the Q8200, it's junk. You'll see an overclocking article on it...probably this week.

I wonder if I put the Q8200 response in the I7 thread...

PSMA

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

OK Crashman, I knew Q8200 wasn't intel flagship ... my computer isn't for gaming, for that I use my Xbox.

Anyway, I still have a doubt on your answer ... you said temps were "GREAT!" ... you were referring to i7 or are they still "GOOD" in the Q8200?

Regards

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

Just reading over this thread ................ apparently I did the same as you......... now were did that i7 thread go and how did I end up here?

sometimes I think I might be a moron...lol [:lectrocrew:9]

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
geek definition - telecom
A performer in carnival sideshows whose act consists of grotesque or depraved acts, such as biting the heads off live chickens or snakes.The origin of the term is uncertain. Some suggest it has roots in the Low German gek, meaning fool. Others suggest it is echoic of unintelligible cries, much like eek.
Anyone considered to be socially awkward, especially those with excessive interests in computers or related technologies. See also nerd and techie.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

They're OK for a Q8200, but only because the Q8200 is the biggest pile of crap C2Q I've ever used and behaves totally differently from the 9000 series...being hotter, harder to overclock, less voltage tollerant, etc. It's almost like these were made in a completely different fab.